1912 Primus 1005

Discussion in '1005' started by Nils Stephenson, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

This is the first lamp that was produced under the Primus name. It appears that it was a combination of ideas and parts bought in frm other companies. The burner is identical to a type found on Lux and Aladdin lamps of the same era.

This one is from 1912 (B) and judging by marks around the tank, was most likely mounted in a hanging frame. The tank is approximately 24cm in diameter at the widest point. This one is not working as it is missing the flame spreader.

1295205521-Primus_1005_B_front.jpg

1295205521-Primus_1005_B_front.jpg 1295205532-Primus_1005_B_back.jpg 1295205542-Primus_1005_B_name.jpg 1295205549-Primus_1005_B_number.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

What a wonderful and rare lamp, Nils.

It isn't shown on these pictures, but on other I have seen it looks like even the holder for the flame spreader with its little wing screw is identical to the ones used on some Lux lamps, so I wouldn't be surprised if a flame spreader for those would fit straight on to this lamp.

I can see that you miss the screw for shutting off the connection for the air pump.
    That one usually looks like a regular air release screw to me. If so it would not be hard to find a replacement, but perhaps it's not that simple?

Cheers,

3. Nils Stephenson

I have compared the two and as I said before, they are identical in every way. A flame spreader from the Aladdin lamp I looked at will fit directly onto the Primus and vice versa.

It is actually there. It is just angled so that it is hard to see.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  4. Carlsson

So it is! :oops:
    I have to blame the very poor resolution on the set I'm at right now.

5. Nils Stephenson

I've tried to take a picture of the burner showing these parts. The lighting is not the best, but hopefully you can see what you need to.

1295292284-Primus_1005_B_burner.jpg

Just to prove it's there, here is a shot of the filler. :twisted:

1295292296-Primus_1005_B_filler.jpg

6. Carlsson

Thanks Nils!
    Atleast you still have the jet shield. These are gone on all lamps I have with this kind of burner. No big deal since they won't be used outside or in draughty environments, but still...
    Does it just lay loose, or does the jet hold it in place?

So all you need now is this: :mrgreen:
    1295294097-fs.jpg

7. Nils Stephenson

It just sits loose around the jet.

So does this mean you are showing me a picture of a spare you have. ;) When can you send it? :whistle:

8. Carlsson

Nah! Just wanted to tease you. :lol: ;)

I was actually playing around with the flame spreader tonight, so I had it in front of the camera.
    I have been working with the Atella a bit just now, and to give it some kind of test, I placed this flame spreader from Lux loose on the Atella.
    Worked pretty nicely despite it's high position as you can see here.

I forgot to ask! What does it say on the manometer on your 1005?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  9. Nils Stephenson

Nothing on the manometer except "kg pr qcm" and the scale of course.

10. Carlsson

Nils, where do you find the date stamp on these?

11. Nils Stephenson

Sorry about the late reply. Have just got back from holidays.

The date stamp is under the lamp in the circle text (just like older stove marking).

12. Carlsson

Thanks Nils. I suspected as much, but was hoping it was smaller, and in a "new", more odd place.
    That means that my lamp is undated, which is a bit pity. :(
    Unless they not actually made these before 1911?

13. Nils Stephenson

Of the 3 or 4 that I have seen, they all have a date letter 'B'. There is very little information on these lamps so when they were made is only a guess. If yours is pre 1911 then that is useful information. The burner is almost identical to a Lux or Aladdin burner (I don't know which came first) and I am sure they are a copy (not the other way round). If you know when Lux / Aladdin introduced theirs, then it couldn't have been earlier.

14. Nils Stephenson

Just for reference sake, here a picture of the stamp under the lamp including the date code.

1343490116-Primus_1005_B_date.jpg

15. Carlsson

Thanks Nils!
    Unfortunately no such stamp under mine.

Primus is a copy of the Lux burner, just as Aladdin.
    Lux invented this burner in 1901 to replace the older one where vaporisation took place inside the mantle instead of above it.
    The older burner was still in use for a while as you can see [url=http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/2234 Both kind are seen in 1902 years catalogue.

Lux had alot of problems with Aladdin and all their copying of Lux constructions, and finaly took them to court.
    Aladdin lost, and it costed them dearly...

Never read anything about problems with Primus, so perhaps they actually had permission to use Lux´ patent for their first attempts to make a lamp?
    After all, they came along pretty well out on that little island where they built their respectively factories practically at the same time around 1906 or so.

As said, I have no stamp at all like yours on my lamp. Not any of the other kind either (the full circle with date code and the mysterious arb.nummer).
    I read that you dated these to appr. 1912-14, but I guess that is based on those lamps you have seen?
    Perhaps they go back a bit further then. Even if a missing date stamp not necessarily must mean that it pre dates 1911, but it's not unlikely.
    How about catalogues and other paperwork?

16. Nils Stephenson

Isn't there any stamp at all? I would expect some stamp saying "A/B B.A. Hjorth & co." or similar.

The 1912 is because that is the earliest example I had seen. I have a copy of catalogue 259 which covers the 1005 to 1009 models. This catalogue is printed in 1913. I also have copies of the pages from another catalogue that list these models. These are pages 157 to 159, but I have no idea which catalogue they came from. I was told the catalogue was from 1914. I don't own the originals, so cannot add the catalogues to the site.

17. Carlsson

No actual stamp per se.

Of course it has the same larger engraved text as yours on the upper part of the tank with model number etc. (And closest to the burner where it says A/B B.A. Hjorth & Co, just as I can see on yours.)

I shall pull myself together and make some pictures of it to post here. :lol: