1914-20 (about) Lux Sirius, Aktiebolaget Lux

Discussion in 'Lux' started by Carlsson, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Petrol fueled one mantle lamp from Aktiebolaget Lux, Stockholm.

1284403755-sirius2.jpg

High positioned cleaning needle lever, handled by a wire. The NRV is positioned under the little nut on the side of the fount rather than at the bottom of the pump tube.
    Even if it's a petrol lantern, it needs pretty much preheating, and the preheater cup is conveniently filled from the top via the built-in funnel after just lifting the hood.
    Lighting is also done from top since the lantern has the pipe-cleaner looking asbestos wick all the way from the cup to the funnel.
    The globe is a reproductional mica cylinder made by Fred Kuntz that I most kindly got from Bo.

1284403755-sirius2.jpg 1284403760-sirius3.jpg 1284403771-inre.jpg 1284403777-delar.jpg 1284403783-luxlys.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Hi Christer

I like the idea of one main picture in full size then thumbnails for the rest. I might have to steal that idea for my next post. ;)

Br
    Nils

3. spiritburner

spiritburner Admin

I was going to say the same!

4. Carlsson

Actually I only made them as thumbs originally, but for some test reasons I later on made the first picture as a fullsized one.
    But when you say it, it doesn't look bad at all.

The same picture is repeated in the row of thumbs, which might seem redundant, but I figured I better take it along there aswell in order to show it in the 'lightbox-function' too.

Of course you shall use the same arrangement if you like it Nils.
    I look forward to see what your next post will be.

5. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Chriaster,

Nice lamp !
    I did find a patent today that looks identical... Not from Lux but on name of Hugo Schneider, 1924. Looks identical.
    1340907564-HS_DE425220_1924_web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  6. Carlsson

Hi Wim, I saw that patent too, and the similarities are absolutely there.
    But I'm not sure that this particular burner is a "Lux invention" from the beginning. It shows so many similarities with a couple of American lanterns from the period. I think it was Nulite, or even the odd AGM.

7. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Most likely Nulite since we know HASAG bought lamps in from them for rebranding before about 1924 ish. HASAG model 100 is a rebadged Model 100 Nulite Storm King and that lantern has a very similar generator and mixing tube design. ::Neil::

8. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

I must say that Christers lamp looks also like a Nulite.
    So the trail goes to Nulite around 1920-1924. Anyone has Nulite patents alredy downloaded ?

9. Carlsson

That trail must be earlier than 1920 if it also goes for the Lux.
    The first Sirius appeared in 1914, I think.

10. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

The Nulite Storm King is older thn 1920. They were exporting them to Thailand in 1918 and in the US they go back to around 1915-1916. They were probably not talking to HASAG before 1918 though because of a little misunderstanding between their repective governments at the time which restricted trade some. ::Neil::

11. wwhcfy

Hi Carlsson

Wish you are good.

I just have chance to have this Sirius lantern. I was going to clean it but the problem is I don't know how to separate the main part which are the burner and the generator.

I tried many different way but still can't separate the parts, I am not sure it is too tight... as I don't have the digram and the part list so not sure which parts can be separated. I am looking for the info on the net for this lantern, but not much I can find...

Could you please guide me to the good way to separate the parts in order I can clean the lantern.

Man thanks
    wwhcfy

IMG_4602.JPG

12. Carlsson

Hi wwhcfy.
    That's a great score. You don't see many of these old Lux lanterns, so you are to be congratulated.

I don't remember exactly how I took mine apart. It was many years ago...
    I hope the picture with the loose parts I posted above (also shown below) might help you to figure out how to dismatle the pieces.

[​IMG]

I think the airtube to the right just had a tight fit in the cast mixing chamber on the top.
    It should be possible to just slide it downwards, probably with a twisting movement, and perhaps some penetrating oil to help.
    After that the entire mixing champer should be able to unscrew from the generator/vaporiser. Unfortunately I don't remember how the generator was attached to the valve block under the globe cage, but I think it is threaded. It looks like it if you check the lower part of the generator in the photo above.
    Gently try to unscrew it, and if all goes well, it will come loose.
    The preheting cup is just slid over the generator, so it will come of easily.

Good luck, and let us see more of the lantern in a topic of its own under Lux in the gallery!

13. wwhcfy

Wish you are good Carlsson.

Many thanks for you reply which is very deetailed and informative. At least I know which parts can be separated or removed. Tell you what I used half botttle of WD40 last night and still didn't work. Couldnt sleep whole night, thinking the lantern when sleeping. I just wanna fire it up and use it, I like the working lantern and I enjoy to fix it. But for this Lux lantern, it doesn't have much information on the net and very less reviews, so I have no idea which parts are screwed and which parts are plugged in...

I will try tonight again after my kids go to bed. Just don't wanna waste it...

Many thanks again for your help and your prompt response. wwhcfy

14. wwhcfy

IMG_4626.JPG Hi Carlsson

I finally separated all the parts except the generator, it is very tight and I did burn the connection between generator and the valve block, then tried to unscrew it, but it does not work... it is screwed very tight on top of the valve block, really not sure how to remove it be honest... On the NRV I removed the old one and replaced the Optimus NRV on it which works fine on the pressure when pumping. I was going to clean it before I fired it, but I really wanna know if it works or not for the lantern nearly 100 years old, so I could not wait any longer, then I combined all the parts and fired it with the gasoline, finally it works here. However, I found that the fire is surrounding the mantel which is unusual I believe, then I loose all the parts and combined them again, but it's the same that the mantle is surrounded by a fire ball as you can see in the picture, really not sure why, not sure if the hole of the jet is enlarged...

Can I please have your advice on this or if you know any other jet replacement will work?

I will post more pictures after cleaning... Thanks

15. Carlsson

I would guess that the jet is enlarged.
    Does it burn better if you partially block the jet by slowly (and temporarily) engaging the cleaning needle?

16. wwhcfy

Hi Carlsson

Wish you are good.

Yes I have tried to partially block the jet by adjusting the needle, but the problem is still the same that the fireball surrounding the mantle just the matter of large / small fireball...

I am not sure why but mike what you side the jet maybe enlarged. I was going to use Optimus 111's jet in which the thread is bigger than Lux... I am really not sure which jet fits Lux or where I can buy or any person has the tailormake ones...

Here are the photos for you guys reference how it looks like after cleaning.

Please can you give me some idea how can I solve the jet problem or do you know if any shop /person can repair?

Many thanks again
    Tony

IMG_4711.JPG IMG_4713.JPG IMG_4714.JPG IMG_4715.JPG IMG_4717.JPG IMG_4720.JPG IMG_4719.JPG IMG_4708.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2017
  17. Carlsson

Hi Tony.
    I see on the pics that this is an Optimus Sirius, so I have moved your last post to Optimus, and also added the reference pictures we see in your replies above.

18. DanW Sweden

C2ED1150-73A6-4C6D-A207-C5B8CC11F2A3.jpeg

Hi Carlsson and everyone. I need some expertese.
    Im a beginner in preassurelamps, but love old things that work!

I found a Lux Sirius at my cabin in Hälsingland, Sweden this weekend.
    I have cleaned it from dirt, but want to take it apart to clean it inside out.
    My questions: I dont have any "piprensare" (swedish) to it. Do you think a modern "piprensare" will work?
    Do i use gasoline or some other fuel? (fotogen, sprit, lampoil?)
    The glow sock just fell apart like dust, should i buy a special type?

And finally: How do i light it correctly when im done?

Sorry for my swenglish and for not knowing so much.
    I love the lamp though, and really want to use it!

Dan

19. Carlsson

Hi Dan!

I'm sorry, but I forgot to answer your question!
    I read it briefly at work, but then it all just went away... Too much in my head at the moment, I'm afraid...:oops:

So!
    Regarding the "piprensare-part" (Pipe cleaner), I wouldn't bother. I'm sure your lamp will work without it, and to use an actual pipe cleaner is hardly a good idea. The original thing there was probably made out of asbestos in order to cope with the heat. A pipe cleaner would not be long-lived in that place.
    Just skip it!

The fuel question - The Lux Sirius is primarily meant for gasoline- Swedish: Bensin, so that's also what you should use.
    They claim in some ads back then that the lantern also could use some other fuels- including kerosene (fotogen)- but that's not what they were constructed for, so go with the "bensin".
    But please don't use regular car gasoline!
    You live in Sweden, so you have alkylate gasoline all over the place!
    That's what you want. It will work fine. Just make sure that you don't get the one with oil mixed in for two-stroke engines. Anything that says "Alkylatbensin 4T" will be good for you (4T is for fyr-takt, as in four stroke, while 2T is for two stroke engines).
    I generally use the Swedish brand called "Aspen 4T" myself, but that's just because I have it cheapish on pump here. Any Alkylat gasoline will work, and all gas stations or ware houses got their version of it.

The mantle (glödnätet) that fell apart in dust is just a normal wear and tear part.
    You just have to tie a new mantle one there.
    Any mantle (glödnät) in the size of 300-500 CP will do the job. You can find them at e.g. Fogas in Sweden. Or check out Tradera for glödnät.

Once you know that everything on your lantern works as it should, the lighting procedure is as follows:

Make sure the valve is completely closed by turning the hand wheel to its fully closed position.
    Lift off the hood and pour alcohol (t-röd eller ren sprit) in the little funnel so that the cup under the burner is filled.
    Light the alcohol, and try to be patient until it's almost has expired. In the mean time, you can pump up some pressure in the tank. Ten strokes, or just above, is what they recommend in the instructions, but it's not critical. Ten to twenty, or so...
    As the flame in the pre-heating cup is just about to expire, be quick to open the control wheel, and if all is well, you should be rewarded for your patience with a good light.
    Just be prepared with an additional match or lighter in case you were too slow in opening the valve.:lol:
    After that, you can give the lantern a few more pump strokes. Does it still look stable- well just pump it up a bit further!
    And there you go - A well working piece of history that still is useable, even a hundred years later!

I'll attach an original instruction for the Sirius below:

luxsirius.jpg

@DanW

20. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

DanW