1915/1919 IL323

Discussion in 'GS, IL, NL' started by CrazyCamperGreg, Aug 12, 2015.

1. CrazyCamperGreg

CrazyCamperGreg Subscriber

This one I found in a collection I found in Maine USA. It is in extremely nice condition. The needle was broke when I got it so I replaced that and it seems to run rich so I need to try a different tip in it. Otherwise a beautiful old lantern.

1439360766-IMG_20150812_58748.jpg 1439360779-IMG_20150812_4690.jpg

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Built to last! :thumbup:

3. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Nice One!
    And the nickel is in such fine shape.

I like the quality craftsmanship of the long cleaning valve rod, with the ball at the bottom and at the top. A nicer touch than the usual bent wire loops, and I'm sure makes for a smoother operation of the entire mechanism.

Have you made a torch to light these? How long do you pre-heat before lighting?

Dan

4. CrazyCamperGreg

CrazyCamperGreg Subscriber

I use an iron torch and usually let it heat till the mantles start to burn on there own. They seem to light with the full that is left in the generator from the previous burn. I have found that a propane torch doesn't light these old ones nearly as good as the old alcohol torch does. I think it helps that the alcohol torch heats the mixing chamber at the same time as the generator. They also seem to get brighter as they heat up. MY NL323 is probably my brightest 2 mantle lantern!

Now I just need to head north and grab that GS323! HAHA