1916-1920 Col L316 Arc

Discussion in 'Arc Lanterns L, L316, H316, HV316, H416 AL, AL319' started by Mackburner, May 1, 2014.

1. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

This one has just landed and is as far as I know the only one in the UK unless some of you know better. I have been lusting after one of these for years and finally got there. For a fraction of the value as expected on the Bay recently too.

Not in the best condition as the nickel plate is rough and there are some dents in the fount including one real big divot. Still it was complete except for a globe but an email to Craig sorted that. I also had to insert some asbestos in the generator because the original packing had been removed. It also is good enough to run although not well. Looks ok in the photographs but is not really all that bright. More pressure will possibly sort that. Have to fire up the compressor because my arm was aching by the time I had it bright enough for the camera. ::Neil::

1398901936-Col_L316_Arc_02.jpg

1398901950-Col_L316_Arc_03.jpg 1398901990-Col_L316_Arc_05.jpg 1398902006-Col_L316_Arc_06.jpg 1398902026-Col_L316_Arc_08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. jonathan fairbank

Hi Neil,

It's good to see one of these, with all the crown and globe, taken off to one side at last.Their size are just perplexing, but I do I like these Arc lanterns a lot, yours here seems to be putting out some decent light, even though things still may need tinkering with a bit more ? (Wouldn't fancy that asbestos business though) :roll: :!:

I'm afraid I couldn't stand the shipping issues, fretting for the globe; even if I could afford to bid very high, towards securing one. Just to see one lit up though (being right next to it), would be a 'kick' in itself, & I don't know why, but I always end up thinking about the seventies space thriller, Logan's Run, when glancing at its designed lines ??

Jon.
    :thumbup:

3. Claus C

Gratulation Neil. It is really nice and funny looking lamp where they seemed to be overdoing the globe part.
    It is to be seen here in action and it just looks BIG. I want one :D/ .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVSLRAonFFw

Claus C

4. longilily United Kingdom

Very nice Neil :thumbup:

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's cleaned up well Neil. :thumbup: :thumbup:

6. loco7lamp

loco7lamp Subscriber

Hi Neil

This has got to come to the "Ipswich light up" for me to drool over this year :D :thumbup:

Stu :D :thumbup:

7. george

george United States Subscriber

Great score!

There you are 5,000 miles away and I'm practically setting in Coleman's back yard and I can't get that lucky!
    Beautiful find! It looks great!

George

8. James

James Subscriber

Hi Neil, I am glad you finally found one :thumbup:

9. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I'm just glad somebody in the UK got one - but I'm particularly pleased it was Neil... :D/

10. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

This lantern certainly came to the right place. Neil, I'm glad you made it!

/Conny

11. longilily United Kingdom

U da man !!

Here here :clap: :clap: ;)

12. Digout Australia

Great Looking lamp.
    Well done Neil

13. Neighbor Al

Neighbor Al United States Subscriber

Gorgeous!

With all the competition in design and elegance from you Europeans, it's nice to see one U.S. example that stands on its own.

14. Mackburner

They are a big lantern. I just took this image with the first lantern that came to hand which is a Radius 120. You would certainly not want to carry this beast very far. ::Neil::

1399251706-Col_L316_Arc_09_with_Radius_120.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  15. Mackburner

The light from this one is poor. The generator had an asbestos packing from new but this had been removed. I shoved a length of asbestos string up the spout because without a packing there are heat transfer problems and with no filter it would require frequent pricking. It may well be that the packing I have inserted is restricting the light but I am reluctant to do much experimenting. No magic about asbestos although if you are a young man maybe some care is required. Asbestosis in 25 to 30 years time is not likely to be much of a problem for me since I will probably not be here.

Shipping was a breeze. The seller mailed it to my friend in Chicago who re shipped it to me. Came in four days in two boxes declared as Antique lamp parts. No customs charges and no problems. Oddly enough a globe for these is easy. Craig Seabrook has a stock of repro globes for arc lanterns at $45 a pop and he is very good at packing them for mailing so there are no real problems there either. The big issue is the percieved value to US and Japanese collectors. I have never understood this because I reckon I have seen maybe three dozen or more which makes them nowhere near the most rare of Coleman lamps. I have for instance seen maybe 8 Coleman HQ lamps and they make $200 or less. ::Neil::

16. James

James Subscriber

Hi Neil if you think it needs a new generator then oldcolemanparts.com sell reproduction arc generators.

17. Mackburner

James. Yes thanks I found them. Expensive I thought so I think I will stay with what I have. Probably work better if I reduce the packing length a little. I am not all that bothered though. The lamp will only run for show so it does not have to be great. ::Neil::