1919 Akron 92 Table Lamp

Discussion in 'Table Lamps' started by Conny C, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Hi All,

This Akron 92 is a rare and odd Akron table lamp from around 1919. Kind of transition lamp from the Akron (late 1910,s) 83/84 torch lighting table lamp into the match lighting (beginning 1920,s) 101/102 S-generator table lamp. This 400CP gasoline fed lamp is equipped with a combination of an original torch lit upper generator tube, added with a match lighting thin tube generator. It is an odd burner approach, but is well functioning and was followed soon after with the match lighting S-generator lamp, the 101/102 Akron lamp model.

This torch lighting/match lighting generator patent was filed in 1919 and soon after Akron filed a patent for a match lighting generator in 1921, that in the end turned out to be the Akron S-generator. This Akron 92 lamp was only manufactured for a year and a half, so that is why this lamp is a bit rare.

I have had this lamp for a couple of years. The font was stress cracked so I changed that with an additional identical font I acquired later. Having fettled the lamp and tested it I found out that the match lighting generator was stuck and I couldn't make it to work well. After some consideration I asked the "gen wizard in Idaho", Dean Williams, if he could make me a replica generator. I wasn't surprised he could and he sent me several gens for me to try out. I just needed one and with small adjustments it worked fine. Many thanks Dean!

/Conny

Akron 92.jpg Akron 92 witout shade.jpg Akron 92 parts.jpg Akron 92 burner unit1.jpg Akron 92 burner unit2.jpg Akron 92 burner unit3.jpg Akron 92 gen 1.jpg Akron 92 gen 2.jpg Akron 92 gen orifice.jpg Akron 92  blue Bunsen flame.jpg Akron 92 with lit mantles.jpg Akron 92 lit with shade.jpg

The Akron 92 lamp side by side the Akron 102 lamp……. Akron 92 with Akron 102 G.jpg

The 1919/1922 Akron patent ...…………………………….. Akron 92  1919  patent.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Conny C

Absolutely fabulous!

What a great lamp. I like the work Dean Williams did for you.

Cheers

Tony

3. Reinhard Germany

@Conny C

Very nice table lamp:thumbup:
    Overall, I find the Akron 92 more elegant than the Akron 102.
    But with the Akron 102,the tank looks more harmonious.
    That's just my personal opinion.

Regards Reinhard

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well saved!:thumbup::clap::clap::thumbup:

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Very nice work Conny. It's a beautiful lamp.

6. Titoo

Titoo France Subscriber

Fantastic lamp Conny :thumbup:
    Congratulation.

Regards,
    Titoo