1920 Lilor 4083 donut hanging lamp

Discussion in 'Lilor - Liotard Frères' started by Conny C, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Hi all,

Four years ago I bought my first pressure lamp – a French Lilor table lamp restoration project. Today I have lighted my first ever hanging pressure lamp, and yes………it is a Lilor - the No 4083 Lilor 150 CP gasoline fed do-nut lamp.
    The burner unit is more or less the same as for the 150 CP Lilor table lamps, with identical burner components.
    This lamp first appears in the 1920 Lilor catalogue and is present throughout the whole 20´s into early 30´s.

I think this lamp or an identical one was shown earlier 22429[/ATTACH] 1329059205-Lilor_donut_lighted_mantle.jpg 1329059218-Lilor_donut_lighted_with_shade.jpg 1329059233-Lilor_4083_donut_lamp_catalogue_plus_my_lamp_.jpg 1329059246-Lilor_donut_burner_unit.jpg 1329059263-Lilor_donut_lower_part.jpg 1329059281-Lilor_donut_coiled_fuel_feed_tube.jpg 1329059305-Lilor_donut_manometer.jpg 1329059318-Lilor_donut_fuel_valve_control_knob.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Conny, that's a very smart lamp! :thumbup: Jeff.

3. Andreas Peuker

Andreas Peuker Germany Subscriber

Hi Connie,

very, very good work!
    I also have some lights but not the donut is so beautiful!

Greatings from Saxonia

4. OZZY

A realy stunning Lamp Conny you must be very proud to own it.

Ozz

5. Conny C

Yeah guys, it’s a great feeling bringing something back to ”life” again even if it’s only a material thing. I think the donut lamp looks nice; the French knew how to design their lamps with good looks.

/Conny

6. mr optimus

Hi Conny beautifull restoration and lamp,looking at the pics this lamp realy does give a very nice bright light

7. Michael T. aus NRW

Hello Conny

Great light! The restoration was definitely successful.

Really class!

Greetings Michael

8. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

What can I add ?
    Well done !

9. Kenny Connolly

Great job Conny :thumbup:
    I love this lamp and you are right the French did know how to make a lamp look beautiful .
    You have done a fantastic job on this restoration well done :clap: :clap:

Kenny

10. Conny C

Once again, THANKS!

Kenny - the Brits did also do a lot of good designing back then; I’m refereeing particularly to the Blanchard lamps but also to Kitson and Kildark.

/Conny

11. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

True but never with the flair of the French guys. Only French lamps have embossed tanks with grapes and such and fancy do dads to embellish with. I am generally not a big fan of French lamp design because the burners can be rather more complex than they need to be but they certainly look good. ::Neil::

12. Conny C

Neil, I know what you mean. On this lamp the burner is build quite simple with a brass tube generator loop and a fuel and pricker control. The excess here may be the fuel feed tube coil that has no purpose when there is no need for flexibility.
    Looks nice though and that may also be a purpose.

/Conny

13. Claus C

Its a beautifull lamp Conny and the restoring made it look like new. :thumbup: :thumbup:
    What did you do about the stress-cracks in the tank?

Claus C

14. Conny C

Hi Claus,

I did solder the tank parts that had cracks. I used a self made alloy of lead and tin 75/25% and that worked just fine. Maybe not the cosmetically best solution but with the tank re-painted the mending isn’t much visible.

/Conny

15. Claus C

Hi Conny
    The lamp is exactly the lamp earlier owned by Paul M as the link shows. I have never seen other Lilor 4083's than your lamp anywhere on the web.
    It is such a nice lamp. I would really like to see how it is to light for real. There must be a outboard pump. I like the way all gadgets is made visible - compared to the Tilleys.
    If Im lucky to find my own then I will ask you for advice in fixing it and lighting it.

Claus C