1920's Coleman PQ

Discussion in 'Chandeliers. P, PQ, PQF, 103K' started by Matthew92, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Here's one I polished up at the weekend, whilst the sun was shining. :D Unfortunately the original nickel plated finish was beyond repair so the only option was the strip back to brass and polish. It needs some final polishing and then I will change the seals and gaskets, check for leaks and then fuel her up and see how she runs. Until then these pics will have to do. :D :D :D/

1395170964-coleman_a.jpg
    1395171054-coleman_b.jpg 1395171156-coleman_c.jpg 1395171167-coleman_d.jpg 1395171187-coleman_e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's looking good Matt! :thumbup:

3. Claus C

It is looking so good Matt. :D/
    But I think this is past lamp - I think it is a chandelier. A pressure-chandelier - sounds good to me hehe.

Claus C

4. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

That is one shiny chandelier Matthew! Do you have the ceiling height in your stately pile to allow you to hang it? Do you have shades for it?

5. Wim

Wim Subscriber

[-X Now young man, it is not so nice of you to make us all green of jealousy!!! :mrgreen:
    Ah well, I know it is in good hands! ;) :lol:
    Looking forward to see them burn :D/

Best regards,

Wim

6. James

James Subscriber

That must have take some polishing to get all that nickel off.

7. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Matt, you've done a splendid job on that PQ chandelier. Please share your nickel stripping and polishing techniques. I'd love to know.

The Coleman Quick-Lite was one of the best burners ever made and your PQ will really show them off. Quick and easy to light and burn really well. If you have any issues with the Q99s, I did follow Mike's renewal process Restoring Q99's & safe starting procedure for Quick-Lites and it worked well on a totally clogged one of mine.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2020
  8. loco7lamp

loco7lamp Subscriber

Hi Matt

Fab polishing job :D/ :D/ :D :thumbup:

Did the nickel /chrome peel off in sheets :?:

Really looking forward to the big light up as your lamps always look the buisness :D/ :D/ 8) :thumbup:

Stu :D :thumbup:

9. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Thanks everyone, don't know where it's going to get hung yet, if it will. Might just find a table to put it on, but no shades yet. Polishing was done with the help of a scotchbrite wheel on the bench polisher, that removes all the left over nickel and crap off the surface before the usual polishing. Weekends coming up so should be able to have a look at it at some point. :D/ :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol:

10. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Nice job there matt those scotchbrite wheels are good I think but don't last very long when worked hard you find that too?

pete

11. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Thanks Pete, yes you're right. They make a difficult job much easier, but as you say they do wear quickly. I usually expect to use one per lamp, although there may still be some life left in the one I started for this lamp. Plenty of coarse polishing compound and they'll work well, just don't catch your finger on it. :-& :lol:

12. EMonk

It looks like hell, you should put it in a box and mail it to me immediately!

I'm kidding. I'm looking for one like that too so i can restore it.
    Nice work

13. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

A note for fettlers. These lamps are big and strong but they do have one weakness which is the attachement of the swan neck arms to the centre block. They are screwed in but it is easy to damage the joints. When dismantling and rebuilding you must never grip the arms with a hand and turn. Always use a wrench on the hex. ::Neil::

14. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard Ed and those Coleman PQ., lamps are often listed on Ebay USA.. Jeff.