1921? Succes N.o 113 "Lampe Centrale"

Discussion in 'Guenet & Abbat' started by Conny C, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Hi all,
    On my French odyssey I have come to the “Succes” brand. This is the 150 CP gasoline fed “Lampe Centrale” from the beginning or mid 20´s. This lamp appears in the 1926 Succes catalogue by Guenet&Abbat but is also seen in their predecessor Culmen catalogue by Louis Compain et Cie.
    The burner on my lamp is not as in the catalogue but looks similar to the burner on some of the fancy hollow wire wall lamps that seem to go back to at least 1921.

This burner has the typical French brass tube loop generator and has also a very special jet/cleaning needle /air tube intake design. The jet is integrated into the air intake tube and its orifice exits out into the air intake tube with a cleaning needle device on top of it. I can’t find any way of removing the jet so that would mean that the whole unit would have been exchanged when the jet was worn out. The design is typical French and I just love this stylish lamp. I haven’t tried it yet due to some minor stress cracks in the tank, but eventually I may try a tank sealer. I’m not willing to risk the nice patina though so I must have a second thought about such a restoration.

/Conny

1331423905-Lampe_Centrale.jpg 1331423964-Lampe_Centrale_harp_part.jpg 1331423984-Lampe_Centrale_fuel_tank_jpg.jpg 1331424007-Lampe_Centrale_manometer.jpg 1331424030-Lampe_Centrale_burner_unit.jpg 1331424046-Lampe_Centrale_burner_unit_with_loop_generator.jpg 1331424064-Burner_unit_with_cleaning_needle_.jpg 1331424166-Lampe_Centrale_brass_plate.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Michel

Michel Subscriber

hi Conny
    beautiful lamp as usual :-)
    the burner seems to be a near cousin of "bec Lor" of Lilor brand ?
    once, I have succeded to prevent leaks by pouring epoxy resin (2 components) in the tank. the resin is liquid enough to be poured, after, you lean the tank until hardening. The tank must be very clean inside.
    I hope i am clear !!??

3. mr optimus

Hi Conny what a beautifull lamp a real stunner and i am sorry the tank has some stress cracks in it and i fully understand your dilema in risking the beautifull patina,even though with original patina or highly polished it will look superb, but on this lamp the patina is a must in my opinion,i do not know how well a tank sealer work on a pressuer lamp or how safe it would be,but it would be very nice if it could be a user with every thing in its original condition,a very realy very nice classy lamp

4. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Yes Conny,

Pure elegance and style.

I love engineering, with all the knobs, valves and gauges. Like getting behind the wheel of a vintage sports car (I wish I had one of those, too!).

Dan

5. Conny C

Michel,
    I have bought a French epoxy tank sealing kit (Restom). My fear is that the cleaning phases (with phosphoric cleaning) would harm the outer patina layer of the tank. Perhaps one can take a chance and seal it without these pre stages but a clean tank is perhaps the best way to success :lol: ! I will take that under consideration a bit longer though!

/Conny

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Smart lamp! :thumbup:

7. Conny C

I did the tank sealing job and it was a success ;) :) . Cleaned the tank with acetone and went on with the epoxy compound. I had problems with the generator and I have to make a new one if I would like to use the lamp further. For a test and documentation try I managed to get it temporarily functional. Here is the result!

/Conny
    1332318687-Lampe_centrale_lighted_mantle.jpg 1332318804-Lighted_Lampe_Centrale.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  8. Michel

Michel Subscriber

beautiful light
    I love it running

9. Conny C

Yes Michel, it feels good to have breathed life into it once more even if it was the last breath of life for this lamp.

/Conny