1922 Kynoch lantern

Discussion in 'Kynoch' started by pete sav, Sep 22, 2010.

1. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Here is a lamp found some years ago at carboot for £2.50 was in really bad shape spent hours restoring just about all the steel bits had corroded to nothing was a challange but have always been well pleased with the outcome.

1285110866-Kynoch6s.jpg 1285110895-2.jpg 1285110884-1.jpg 1285110904-Dscn5843.jpg
    cheers pete

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Nice lamp and in about the same condition as mine. Mind you mine cost me a deal more and I had to wait many years before I got the oportunity to buy one. Interesting company history behind these. Sort of goes like this.

George Kynoch started a business in 1862 making percussion caps and this business grew to the point where Kynoch Ltd. were one of the biggest explosives manufacturers in the UK by 1884 and by 1900 had become a leading manufacturer of munitions but also were making soap and cycle parts and had become experts in non ferrous metal technology . During WW1 they made millions of cartridges and shells for the army in France. In 1918 they were part of a merger between all the major explosive and munitions manufacturers in the UK. These were Nobel, Kynoch, Eley, Kings Norton Metal, Birmingham Metals and Munitions and Curtis's & Harvey. The new company was called Nobel industries but the individual companies retained their identities. From 1920 to about 1923 Kynoch tried a number of new products which included lamps but most failed so we can assume these Kynoch lamps were from that period and given the number that turn up I agree they did not make many.

As you may notice one of the group companies was Curtis's and Harvey who from about 1922 ish made Evening Star and Kildark product. Then in 1926 yet another reorganisation saw the lighting part of the business sold off and the group was brought together in a new company called Imperial Chemical Industries or ICI to you and me. The purchaser of the lighting part of the business was Welsbach who also then re named themsleves to become Lighting Trades Welsbach Ltd. ::Neil::

3. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

How many of these lanterns do we know of then neil?

pete

4. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Pete, a very good restoration job made there. This is certainly a lantern of my liking, nice proportions. The lantern is also some kind of Swedish lantern as the head company was the Swedish Nobel industries ;) .

/Conny

5. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Thanks Conny yes its a nice lantern now and once running runs for hours unattended, i really like the badge\logo on the tank big bold and proud of their product

cheers pete

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Pete, yet another fine restoration!

I now know of 3 Kynoch lanterns, Jeff.

7. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

thanks jeff i know me neil and gorden have one a piece are the ones you know of owned by others?

8. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Pete, other than the 3 which you have mentioned, I know of one more Kynoch lantern, Jeff.

9. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Hi jeff looks like only 4 we know of so far then rare lantern

pete

10. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Pete, yes, it's a rare beast that's for sure!

Have you or anyone else ever found a lamp which is marked Skirbeck?

I have a poor quality advert for a table lamp and a lantern which were marketed under that name, Jeff.

11. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Hi jeff dont think i have ever heard of that one mick\neil may know of them possibly

cheers pete

12. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Pete, Skirbeck lamps were marketed by J B Arch & Son of Boston in Lincolnshire, who also marketed Arch pressure lamps, Jeff.

13. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes we only know the name from that one popor quality advert for Arch and Skirbeck lamps. In fact the Arch lamps I have are not marked with a name and I have never seen or heard of any others that might be made by JB Arch. Rare stuff and iof they did not mark the product then we are probably never going to see a Skirbeck for real or of we do then we may not know what it is. ::Neil::

14. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Neil, that's a good point! Jeff Johnson.

15. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

I know this is an old thread, but no excuse to not add to it. It is also worth bringing it to the top of the pile again as it is so interesting.

I have a friend who knows the current owner of Kynoch - it still exists making small batches of ammunition for sporting rifles. My friend asked him if he knew anything about these lamps, and the reply was that he was pretty sure that these were re-marketed by Kynoch (as explained in other articles on this site by @Mackburner ) as an adjunct to supplying "safari related materials"

best
    Chris

16. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Chris

Thank you for that information.

I’ve just found some old advertisements for Kynoch when they had a munitions factory in Melbourne early last century.

Cheers

Tony

@Fireexit1

17. Craig G. Adams United States

I have had a lantern for many many years in fact about 30 that belongs in our family... And just learned that it is a Kynoch lantern. I use gas lanterns for winter ice fishing in Southern Michigan , and this kynoch has sat in my basement for three decades having been a gift from my father. Guess I have a real reason to restore it now. Actually it's in pretty good shape