1924 Coleman 2LQ L427 prototype

Discussion in 'L427, LQ427, 2LQ' started by candlepower, May 2, 2018.

1. candlepower

This lantern was found in a consignment auction/antique store in February 2017. When it was auctioned off no one had bid on it and the auctioneer had a choice of throwing the greasy looking lantern away or put it upfront after paying a few pennies for it. Luckily for me, he didn't throw it away. It was on the floor for who knows how long until I kicked it accidentally, and with that kick, it became my first lantern in my collection. My wife talked the owner into not charging us tax so it cost $20.

They are still quite rare and not many mentions of the lanterns are found on the web. Mine was missing the pump assembly as a brass air adapter was put on it. A MilSpec pump assembly works fine in it. Many thanks to MacBurner for him posting his lantern and telling some of history of these unique lanterns. I still wonder why I was allowed to find it; with this lantern I get to run with the big dogs. Thank you.

propane adapter.jpg
    new halfpump.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2018
  2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I've got one around here somewhere, complete with the correct pump. When it re-surfaces, it'll be available for moving on to a new owner...

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A lucky find indeed!:thumbup::thumbup:

5. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Really!! I'm having trouble believing that. This is a seriously rare lantern. I know of maybe 4 with collectors and I would be very interested to see your lantern please. ::Neil::

6. David Shouksmith

This is the one I was thinking about:-

Unknow Coleman pump on tank.jpg

Mind you, I've no real idea what it is and I was just going by the pump-on-tank but I now see some significant differences. Date numbers are 6 and 10. Probably you're about to tell me Coleman made gazillions of these and they're tripping over them in the US!

Anyway, now that it's found, it's for disposal so if anyone's interested please send me a PM...

7. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

You have the "normal" one, David.
    The one with a removable pump with the check valve below.

8. David Shouksmith

Yeah, I realised that when I found mine and compared it with the photograph of the prototype - the pump fixing to the tank is entirely different.

Never mind, I might have a bit play with it before I move it on - probably on eBay...

9. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Hmm, Newark is coming up David and I know one collector who might be able to give it a loving home next to a lonely 327.:D ;)

10. David Shouksmith

Yeah, I'm intending to be at Newark this year and I'll probably load the car with all sorts of lamps and lanterns as they come to hand. I'll definitely bring the Coleman I've photographed as well as an unlit Optimus 200P I unearthed yesterday. I recall you were interested in that Thermos donut thingie I mentioned last year so I'll bring that too in case you still want to look at it.

:-k Was there anything else? - basically, they're all going... :(

11. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

I had forgotten the thermos, but I would still be interested definitely. Anything else you think might tempt me as well, usually lamps not easily obtainable in the UK.:D Saying that, apart from the x246 range of Tilley pretty much anything is not easily obtainable with eBay prices.](*,)

Look forward to seeing you again and everyone else.:thumbup:

12. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes that is what I expected you to show me. Not nearly as rare as the welded in pump but still the LQ427 was only made like that for two years so it is still a desirable lantern and much prized in the US. ::Neil::