1924 Coleman L427 Prototype

Discussion in 'L427, LQ427, 2LQ' started by Mackburner, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

This lantern is a real rare one. It is not in any catalogues but is listed in the company shipping records for 1924 as 2LQ-L427. At first glance it appears to be an early example of the 300 cp gasoline L427 which was the first lantern Coleman made with a built in pump. However that model, which is catalogued, has a pump housing that unscrews to gain access to the check valve. However this one has a welded in fixed pump housing and a check valve up on the shoulder of the tank. About 800 were made and shipped we think to dealers all over America to test the reaction to a built in pump version of their Quick-Lite lantern. So far we only know of four examples with collectors which in Quick-Lite terms is a vary rare item as all the others were made in thousands and because of the build quality many have survived. I was lucky to get this on eBay and I believe that was because appart from the two guys who have the other three known examples I was probably the only collector who recognised it for what it was so I got it for about what you might expect to pay for a later first issue L427. ::Neil::

1285891578-Col_2LQ-L427_With_soldered_in_pump.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. furry flivver

Awesome Neil: A rare one indeed. Simular pump and air valve as the first version Coleman #1 stove. That one was on my wanted list for years. I only ran across one many years ago, but the "bum" wouldn't sell it to me. Mike...