1926 LQ427 Quicklite

Discussion in 'L427, LQ427, 2LQ' started by David Shouksmith, Jan 7, 2011.

1. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

1294438828-Quicklite_unknown.jpg 1294438845-Quicklite_unknown_-_burner.jpg

This Quicklite is dated 6 10 (October 1926?) and apart from the pump on the tank, it looks like just about any of the other 1920s Coleman lanterns - to my eyes, anyway. On top of that, I can make neither heads nor tails of the model numbering system either - L, QL, LQ, 327, 427 etc., etc. - beats me... ](*,)

Superficially the lantern looks OK, but there's a dent in the ventilator rim and the burner is askew, so I presume it's been dropped on it's head at some point. What's the way back with this one? Some judicious bending of the burner back to the vertical? Or what?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Think i would just remove the burner put it in the vice and pull on the crowsfoot to bring it back in line yes it may crack but if it dont go easy just get it red hot and quench in cold water then do it should be ok then as you soften the brass. go for it dave

pete

3. Glenn

Hi David,

Yes, your lantern is an LQ427 and built in October 1926. Some easy, gradual bending will straighten that burner up. Looks like it is probably bent at the offset (and above) in the air tube and up. Inspect where the tube threads into the manifold closely before attempting. If the tube is bent at the threads, it will be a bit more difficult but doable. Easy and slow!

Nice lantern

Glenn

4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Thanks, Glenn - I'll re-title and move to the Coleman gallery.

Thanks also (and to Pete) for your advice on getting this back into shape - literally! Not something I've had much practice at but I'll give it a go.

Now where's me nasty smelly old blowlamp... ](*,)

5. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

The numbering is difficult. In essence these are LQ or QL and then have a globe number added. So LQ327 is a Lamp Quick-Lite with a 327 mica globe. Saying it QL or just L with 327 means it has to be a lantern because of the globe type and that defines what it is. I can't remember if the LQ427 used the same globe or not but if they did then the number is sequential not a globe part number. Gets complicated then because there is an LQ227 which is basically a 427 with a wide hood. So somewhere in there Coleman changed how they defined the models from a letter with globe part number to a letter sequence and a sequential number. Not long after this they dropped the letters and the last from Wichita was L220 although they did make the older model CQ lamps for a while and Canada perpetuated the letters with continuing to make Quick Lite lantens well into the 1930s and even with the kero burners well in to the 1940s. ::Neil::