1929 (ca.) Blanchard model 1000

Discussion in 'Blanchard & Barnard' started by OZZY, Dec 17, 2011.

1. OZZY

Blanchard Table lamp Courtesy of my friend Chris Smithson

1324083956-PPma.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Need to change the title here. This is a Circa 1929 150 cp Blanchard model 1000.

Very nice lamp and one I wish I owned. Well a whole one anyway as I have the bottom half.

::Neil::

3. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Ozzy,

That is a stunningly beautiful lamp!

Dan

4. OZZY

If you know how to change it Niel then please do. A lamp like this deserves the correct title

5. OZZY

Yes Dan it truely is. PARAFFIN POWER MEETS ART

6. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Simply click on the 'Report Post' button on your first post - it's the one with a '!' on it (third in from the left at the bottom) and post a message in the dialogue box that pops up. This alerts the Mod team to the post and they will take the necessary action.

You're not limited to reporting your own posts, either - you can report other people's as well if you feel they need attention for whatever reason such as being offensive, in the wrong forum, requiring formatting, images not appearing etc.

I've already reported your post for you...

7. OZZY

Thanks David

8. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Really nice lamp you have there Chris and thanks to Ozzy too for posting.
    Does the burner have a date on and a rated CP, I know Neil says Model 1000 and it is in the 1929 paperwork but i suspect Blanchard put out this lamp earlier than this date but there is lots of big gaps in the paper from 1915-1929, indeed little paper exisits on this company.
    I wonder if it could be a bit earlier as i have this lamp dont know model number but it is dated sept. 1921 but i reckon it has the same style tank as you table lamp so maybe yours is of the same period??

1324136772-Img_2672.jpg

We often date tilley stuff by the fonts so blanchard wont be any different i should think

cheers pete

9. OZZY

Some more Shots 1324156612-IMG_0299_opt.jpg 1324156644-IMG_0302_opt.jpg

10. Jim Currie

OZZY, that is a very fine Blanchard model 1000 that Chris Smithson has, do you know if there is a Blanchard name plate on this lamp?... and if there is can we see a photo of it please.

If there is, from the style and wording on it, it will be easy to tell you the range of years that name plate was used for, so giving you a good idea when it was made.

Jim

11. OZZY

I will ask and it there is I will post pic

12. Mackburner

Dating Blanchard stuff is not easy. They were making lamps from around 1909 to the early 1970s and never changed the burner design. There are different name plates and some variation in tanks but I found the whole game near impossible to work out. There are several changes in ownership of the manufacture and I never did get to the bottom of what happened or when. In truth this model 1000 could date from 1910 to 1930 or even later. I said 1929 because we have it listed in a 1929 catalogue. More paper needed. ::Neil::

13. Jim Currie

Sorry Neil, I have to disagree with you on it not being easy to date of Blanchard lamps.

Early ones made by "BLANCHARD" from about 1909 to 1915/16 had there model stamped on the name plate.

Ones made by "BLANCHARD" from about 1915/16 to 1925 had the same name plate BUT with no model number stamped on it.

Dates stamped on some of the burner can pin point the year it was made.

Arthur Blanchard stopped making "BLANCHARD" lamps in 1925 and they were taken over by W.M.Still & Sons Ltd

W.M. Still & Sons made Blanchard's from 1925/26 to 1937 with the Charles Street, Hatton Garden, London on the name plate.

From 1937 until the late 1940-early 1950s they made Blanchard's with the Greville Street on the name plate. Then they stopped making them.

Now W.T.Barnard, used to work for Arthur Blanchard at "BLANCHARD" Lamps up until it closed in 1925. He then started his own business in Red Lion Street, London as a engineer and lamp repairer for all makes of lamps. He also made his own version of Blanchard Lamps, mainly the 1215 double burner type. It look almost the same as the one made by W.M. Still & Sons, just a few slite changes so as not to infringe W.M. Still & Sons patent. Some don't have name plates on, but those that do, do not have the word Blanchard on them just, Manufactured by W.T.Barnard & Co Lamps.

W.T. Barnard, may well have been manufacturing and supplying W.M Still with some Blanchard parts over the years. Because when W.M. Still & sons stopped making Blanchard's in the late 1940/early 1950 he took over all the making of Blanchard's and parts until he retired in the mid 1960s.

Jim

14. Mackburner

Jim. Neat and concise. Thanks for this. What I said was correct because I did not know all this stuff, until now that is. I never did get my head round the various addresses and when who made what so that is important information. ::Neil::