1929 (Jan.) Coleman L228

Discussion in 'L220, 220, 228, B to K Variants' started by Bob M, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Bob M

Bob M R.I.P.

This model is the wide vent version of the L220. Same fuel system.

Bob

1294115056-Coleman228Jan291929_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

There are three variations of the valve and generator arrangement for these. Early ones used a T88 straight generator which incorporated a pricker rod screwed into the end of the needle valve. Then Coleman switched to a Q77 straight tube gen but this has no pricker and the valve needle is not drilled and threaded for a pricker rod. Last one is as you show it with an R55. The style of control wheel changes as well with variations in the number of ridges on the rim. ::Neil::

3. jonathan fairbank

Gotta say Bob, that's a wonderful looking lantern, I'd no idea nor inkling, a twenty year 'jump forward', from the ending 20's, to the 50's or late 40's, would bring hardly much change (it does look better, BTW, :-k ), with the over all shape & aesthetic design (even without squinting, maybe it's the mica)?

That open collar bay, looks really very nice; if ya get to read this (and you're still the owner), could you take a few more photo's please, showing off the burner, generator, collar area and valve, as well as the neat mica (hopefully one of the base, could tell a thing or two, also) ?

It'd be grand owning such an older Coleman 228, just like yours, i'll have to watch out for something similar, or same as.

I've still to get my 58' Coleman 228E's fount, chromed over steel, then plonk a newly applied black enameled, Big Hat, on top. Hopefully this summer, at a squeeze ! possibly. . . . . ?

Cheers :thumbup: .

Jon.