1930's Small Tank Il33.

Discussion in 'Indoor Do-nut & Pendant Lamps' started by Matthew92, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

This is the early Tilley Il33 with the smaller 10 inch tank, as found scruffy but no dents. Pricker control, vapouriser and burner/hood all wrong but I have now changed these for more correct parts although I don't have a brass gallery like these should have. Could really do with a better reflector, but this one will do for now.

IMG_0161.JPG IMG_0162.JPG IMG_0163.JPG IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0166.JPG IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0168.JPG IMG_0169.JPG IMG_0170.JPG IMG_0171.JPG IMG_0172.JPG IMG_0173.JPG IMG_0174.JPG IMG_0175.JPG

Parts after cleaning with fine grade steel wool, then waxed and buffed to a shine.

IMG_0176.JPG IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0178.JPG IMG_0179.JPG

Assembled pictures to follow when I get some better light.

2. KAB

KAB Subscriber

A rare project, should look great when rebuilt and running.

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A lucky find indeed!:thumbup::clap::clap::thumbup:

4. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Nice find Matt
    Pete

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Matthew92

That’s a very nice find!

I hope you can get it running well.

Tony

6. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Thanks fellas, really pleased to find one of these, saw it hanging up from a far and went running over to grab it. Here’s a picture all put together but the lightings not good and camera flash makes it looks even worse than it is.](*,)

It should run well enough if I light it, I’ve just fitted a table lamp gallery for now, I’ve got a steel one but I didn’t like the look of it with the twisted wire holding the globe, plus being an old globe with the shield on I don’t want to risk it slipping out.

8F7EEF8D-96DE-499D-9943-A8A6F77DD192.jpeg

7. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

These are a pretty rare thing. I don't think I have see more than 4 or 5. It should have a small brass or brown enamelled hood/gallery like a 449 without the top cowl. Same as fitted to IL37. They are also pretty rare although there is a pretty fair repro out of Korea. ::Neil::

8. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

@Mackburner l’m pleased to have found one and in such good condition. I’ve seen more dents in later ones.

I have a couple of those enamel hoods, I tried one but I didn’t like having the wire that’s holds the glass, it looked a bit untidy. One of them has been modified to take three screws which would look better, but I need new screws.

9. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

The wire is original and quite secure. I have several lamps with globes fixed with the twisted wire and they have always been OK. Yes it does look a bit Heath Robinson but it's how Tilley did it for many years. ::Neil::