1932 Fall Sears 4618¼

Discussion in 'Simpson Sears-Sears Roebuck' started by Mackburner, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes I know, a bizarre model number but that is how it is listed in the Fall 1932 Sears catalogue. This one is not marked at all but I suspect it may have had a riveted on label which has been removed. It appears to be an AGM from the design of the majority of the parts although the burner casting is similar to some used by Gloria. It is a rather unsafe gasoline lantern because the pump check is a spring loaded rubber seal European type which discharges into the fuel. It wanted a little fettling to fit new seals in the pump check and main tube seal. It was also missing the check valve spring so I robbed one from an old ball pen. I have had it running now for about four hours with a good steady bright light. Not bad for an old timer. ::Neil::
    1381356213-Sears_4618___01.jpg

1381356229-Sears_4618___02.jpg 1381356243-Sears_4618___03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

That's a fine old lantern! :thumbup:

3. Mackburner

I have done a little more reading and this is the wrong colour. It should be green paint to march the hood. ::Neil::

4. loco7lamp

loco7lamp Subscriber

Hi Neil

A very nice early lantern :D/ 8) , will you be bringing it to Ipswich :?: 8) :thumbup:

Stu :mrgreen: :D :thumbup:

5. Juan

Nice name for a nice lantern.

6. Mackburner

I had not planned to. Might be able to slip it in but we normally have space problems and have to restrict numbers. I will have to wait and see how much room we have when we have loaded my car with the ones we have planned to take. ::Neil::

7. Bob M

Bob M R.I.P.

Hi Neil,
    This red fount/green ventilator is characteristic of the US Forest Service lanterns that were produced by Coleman. Could AGM have gotten into the production of these models? Usually the founts on the Coleman were embossed or stamped. Maybe not in the case of the AGM.

Bob

8. Mackburner

Well maybe. We know AGM did make USFS lanterns but this lantern is clearly shown in the Sears catalogues and is listed there as green. The red is not a factory applied finish. It appears to have been done by hand and whilst pretty good it is a little rough in places and there are some minor splashes of red paint on the control wheel and on the globe cage rest. I can find no green at all anywhere but then it could just have been well stripped by the guy who painted it. So I think USFS is only a possible maybe. More likely to be the Sears lamp we believe it to be. ::Neil::