1933 Lind-O-Lite 333A Table lamp

Discussion in 'Lind-O-Lite' started by Mackburner, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

This model 330 Lind-O-Lite lamp was made by A. J. Lindemann & Hoverson Co., Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA. It will be from about the mid 1920s to early 1930s. A 300 cp gasoline lamp which has a pricker control built into the valve block and an integral pricker in the generator. The shade on this lamp is an original one. ::Neil::

1286247118-Lindolite_330_1.jpg 1286247135-Lindolite_330_2_burner.jpg

I had the model number wrong for this one. It is a mid 1930s instant lighting lamp with an integral pricker and combined pump/filler so it is 333A not 330 I originally listed ::Neil::

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Mackburner

OK I have now fettled this lamp and made it run. The spindle with air/fuel valve was sheared off so the air valve did not pull back to shut the air off. I have inserted a spring in there to push the piston back but I have to be careful now not to open the valve too far because there is now nothing to stop it screwing right out. This is the second of these I have found broken and I conclude that this might be a problem with operating any of the later Lind-O-Lite lamps. ::Neil::
    1324040622-Lind-O-Lite_333A_Burner-air_and_fuel_valve.jpg

1324040640-Lind-O-Lite_333A_wkg_01.jpg 1324040656-Lind-O-Lite_333A_wkg_02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  3. Stovost United States

Are all the Shades on the Lind-O-Lite Lamps vertically "Ribbed" as this one is?

4. Mackburner

The shade shown on my lamp above is a correct original for Lind-O-Lite. The shades came in a variety of finishes but all are the same basic shape. So yes they are all ribbed as that one is. ::Neil::

5. Stovost United States

So, if a lamp was found with a Shade that wasn't "ribbed", then one could assume that the Shade is a replacement Shade and not an original? I'm guessing that did they make replacement shades for these old Lamps?

6. Mackburner

Lind-O-Lite made three shades in two colours. The cream one came plain or with a decoration. Here are all three.
    1447852998-__Lind-O-Lite_shades.jpg

Any other shade found will not be a Lind-O-Lite original. Most other shades wil fit and there are a lot of modern shades out there that will look good on these lamps. ::Neil::

7. Stovost United States

That's unfortunate, as the Lamp I was interested in does not have the Ribbed type Shade. I'm glad I went to the experts and asked the right questions, before making my purchase! Very fortunate, that You and the other members are so willing to share their experience and expertise!

Thank You Everyone!

8. Mackburner

Original shades are generally much harder to find than the lamps. They are glass and got broken and replaced. It is therefore common to see incorrect replacement shades on old lamps. So whilst the presence of an original shade or not may affect the value it does not detract from the collectability of the lamp. ::Neil::

9. Matty

Neil,

You may have seen this ad from 1935. I thought I would post it in case you hadn't.

1450401605-lind1935.jpg

10. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

As Neil says, the wrong shade won't affect the collectability of a lamp. It's quite usual to find lamps without any shade at all and I wouldn't be put off buying one like that. Sometimes you just have to be patient and the right shade (or a not-quite-right one) will come along.

So, for me, any shade that fits and looks the part is a bonus. The correct shade is an absolute bonus... :thumbup:

11. Mackburner

No not seen this one. I am still working through US papers for Lind-O-Lite and not really got round to a detailed search in Trove yet. I will get there though because there may be info on models I have no evidence for yet. ::Neil::

12. Matty

Neil,

I searched reasonably thoroughly. I can only come up with ads from the same retailer - Watson Bros.