1933 Primus 1001

Discussion in '1001' started by Tive, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Tive

Tive Sweden Subscriber

Hello everyone !

Found this nice lantern recently, it is a 1933 Primus 1001, this variant ( two piece, full porcelain top ) seems to have been manufactured 1933-34 only. has it's original pre-war glass globe made in Jena, rather than in Mainz.
    Seen here with an original Primus 1001 mantle, i was amazed how well this mantle works compared to some substitutes.

Full up front.jpg Full wheel to left.jpg Full wheel at back.jpg Full Wheel at right.jpg Naked.jpg Date code.jpg Glass.jpg Lit.jpg

Best regards Frederik

2. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Very nice example Frederik. I'm glad it went to a good home. :)

I've often wondered why Primus made the brown and blue hoods in 1933 and 1934. It was only the large version for the 1001 and 1050/1051 and off hand I can't remember if there was a green version of this size during these years. It could have been an idea to differentiate between models, but that is only a guess.

3. george

george United States Subscriber

These Primus 1001 are great kerosene lanterns. I have one from 1930, and it has never failed to light or operate like it should. Very nice example.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A great find!:thumbup:

5. Tive

Tive Sweden Subscriber

Indeed George these and most Primus lanterns of their own original design are very well made and very beautiful.
    If you just got proper mantles for the 1001 they run fantastic and very bright !

6. jacov

Beautiful :clap: