1933 Primus 1051

Discussion in '1051' started by Nils Stephenson, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Together with a blue top 1050 (which can be seen here), I also got a brown top 1051. This is in better condition than the 1050, but not perfect.

As with the 1050, a previous owner has resprayed the globe cage and collar. This time they have not painted the lighting hole door red as it should be. The paint job is quite good so I have kept it as is. The nickel is quite good and the top has only a few small chips to the enamel. The original vapouriser is still fitted, which is unusual to find these days. This vapouriser is very much like the Coleman R55 and I believe an R55 can be used on these lamps though I have never tried. So far I have not tried it, but that is on the agenda for the next few days.

Some details of the model. It is the first of the new version of 1051 with quick starter and mostly external pump tube. In 1933 and 1934 they were fitted with a two piece enamel hood in either blue or brown. So far I havn't seen a two piece green hood from this time period. This one is from 1933 and is marked X 11.

Primus_1051_X_front.jpg Primus_1051_X_filler.jpg Primus_1051_X_pump.jpg Primus_1051_X_quickstart.jpg Primus_1051_X_vapouriser.jpg Primus_1051_X_burner.jpg

Here are a couple of photos to show the brown and blue colours of the hoods. The blue one is from a 1933 1050 which is linked to above.

Primus_1050_X_2_colours.jpg Primus_1050_X_2_colours_tops.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Very nice! :thumbup:

Cheers

Tony

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Another lucky find!:thumbup::thumbup:

4. Titoo

Titoo France Subscriber

Very nice :clap:

Regards,
    Titoo.

5. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Sweden Subscriber

Excellent pair of lanterns Nils.
    Makes you wonder how many blue and brown tops were manufactured in total.

6. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

They were only made for a maximum of a year and a half, so it couldn't have been that many (relatively). The brown seems to be three times more common than the blue.