1934 Tilley AL10

Discussion in 'AL10' started by Mackburner, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

This is the third lamp I scored last weekend. Probably about 1934 and in need of a mica globe but otherwise a little light fettling and it worked very well. From the vestiges of paint undeneath I think this was originally painted gold. These are not a common lamp to find and I consider myself very lucky to now have both types of AL10. ::Neil::

1346861109-Til_AL10-Flange_01.jpg

1346861136-Til_AL10-Flange_03.jpg 1346861150-Til_AL10-Flange_04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A fine addition to any collection! :thumbup:

3. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Three real good rare lamps you got this week Neil intresting this one is painted one i have is laqueared brass is the flat bar to the handle steel then? I only just fettled mine last weekend and i found it difficult to pump up as the pump is on the left unlike later tilleys always on the right
    cheers pete

4. Mackburner

The handle is not original to the lamp. It was missing so we took one from a scrap AL15. I suspect the original would have been brass. Come to that we also took the reflector from the AL15. What I am still missing is the curved brass reflector support. Have to see about making one of those. The base still has gold paint on it and there are tiny vestiges of gold paint in the hard to get places on the lamp. They are tricky to pump as you have to have the lamp facing you so it is harder to hold still whilst pumping. It was an very easy fettle. Just a little oil on the leather and new seals for the pressure release and vaporiser. Pressure test a quick run without a mantle and then fired up for real.

Yes I did do rather well at the weekend. Three rare lamps and that seriously rare silk shade. There are another couple of bits I may yet try to wheedle out of their curent home as well. Have to wait until I get back from a trip into Europe and see how much cash I have spare. ::Neil::

5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

And you weren't the only one! - also 2 VL1s found on top of your haul. :mrgreen:

Hmmm - I'm left wondering if the pair of you didn't go hunting together last weekend...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  6. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Pretty sure we would have had a biding war on our hands if that was the case David. :lol: I wouldn't mind that IL33 or the silk shade. Having said that two VL1's in one day is a pretty good haul if not a little bit greedy. :oops: Ah who am I kidding. :D/ :D/ :D/

7. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Well, I think most Tilley collectors would have done exactly the same thing as you if offered two VL1s - I'd have had 'em away in a heartbeat and bu&&er anybody else.

It just took me 8-9 years to get where you did in one afternoon. But that's life... :D

8. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Yeh your right, I never expected to see one of those in my collection, not for a few years anyway. As we say it's being in the right place at the right time.

Sorry Neil, Nice lamp BTW it is interesting that the fuel feed is straight into the control cock. I take it that the joint on that is soldered in and not removable?

9. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Matt, the AL-10 does not have a control cock, what looks like the control cock only operates the pricker, Jeff.

10. Mackburner

Tilley made a few models without a cock. All of them like this AL10 and the AL11, AL12, AL21 and EX4 from the 1930s have a fixed in pricker control and are also supplied with a pressure release screw. It is a style of lamp design Tilley stopped making around 1937 ish and everything after then has a cock which is a seperate fitting incorporating a shut off valve. Odd really because a kero lamp does not really need a valve and Tilley have persisted with the idea up to now. Stanton Bates realised this and with one exception no Vapalux has a valve. Given the cost savings Tilley started to make in the later 1950s it is a surprise they retained this almost redundant feature. ::Neil::