1935 Akron Diamond 150 Vase

Discussion in 'Table Lamps' started by Mackburner, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

This is a Diamond model 150 300 cp gasoline vase lamp made by the Akron Lamp Co. This one was sold by Montgomery Ward from their mail order catalogue in the mid 1930s and is their model 450F5418. The pot is very poor quality earthenware and was in terrible condition when I got it with a lot of the glaze flaking off so I re painted it. Had fun with this because when the paint was drying I fettled the lamp and to keep it stable I shoved it in a tin of sand so here is my one and only Nescafe lamp. ::Neil::

1285846162-Diamond_150_vase_before_and_after.jpg 1285845951-Diamond_150_in_coffee_tin_working.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Very interesting, a lamp that runs on coffee. Is that allowed? ;)

I assume it would have come with either a parchment or cloth shade?

3. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

I think i like it better in the coffee can neil it is a ugly vase!!!!
    not seen one before tho

cheers pete

4. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes it should have a parchment shade but even that would not really disguise how ugly the vase is. Akron did make a couple opf much nicer vases but they are not at all common and I don't have one. So poor vase and a not very good lamp inside it. This one works OK but they use what Akron were pleased to call an Instant-Glo generator which is fine when new but not serviceable because the gas tip is welded in. It tapers to the bottom so you can't even withdraw the pricker wire. Nice idea when you could go to your local hardware store and buy a new generator but not mucg good to us. ::Neil::