1935 AL10

Discussion in 'AL10' started by Phil Harris, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Phil Harris

Phil Harris United Kingdom Subscriber

This lamp isn’t mine, sadly. It belongs to a preserved steam railway somewhere in the UK, and I was asked to get it working but to preserve its patina.

The lamp is stamped “G.W.R.” on both the handle and the pump rod. I renewed all the seals and washers, polished the reflector, fitted a new mantle and a Fred Kuntz mica shade, and it now works perfectly.

F6A4E3DE-1F60-4CD6-AB43-45750B52838E.jpeg CFFEBD28-664B-4161-9331-0403975117FB.jpeg C0D5C234-D724-4505-B44C-BD1E074AF38C.jpeg

Phil

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well fettled!:thumbup:

3. Phil Harris

Many thanks, Jeff. It’s really bright too, and beats our 1964 AL620 for light output. Again, I find that brightness is very dependent on mantle type. The one you see is called “Anchor Brand”.

I do like the separate air release valve and wish that Tilley had stuck with it, rather than on most of their lamps having to unscrew the pump, which invariably results in a spray of paraffin mist over one’s hands!

Phil

4. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Well done, it sure runs well.
    Cheers
    Pete

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Phil, whenever I loosen a pump etc., I have a cloth around it to catch any paraffin spray. Jeff.

6. Anthony

Anthony Australia Subscriber

@Phil Harris I may have its twin brother.
    Is this where the other G W R is ??

I don't think I would have ever known about the GWR on the pump if not for your post.
    Thanks.

IMG_2766.JPG IMG_2769.JPG

7. Phil Harris

Hi Antony,

Thanks for that! Definitely twins. The GWR letters must have been stamped in at Hendon. I’ve certainly never seen another pump rod stamped like that.

Is your lamp fitted with a handle heat shield? It has been suggested to me that these lamps should have one, but I’ve never seen a picture.

Jeff, of course, that’s what I should do, use a cloth, but it wouldn’t be necessary if Tilley had stuck with the separate air release valve. I guess it added cost and an additional rubber seal.

Phil

8. Anthony

@Phil Harris, this is how it came to me.
    No heat shield.

IMG_2770.JPG IMG_2771.JPG

Mine has a "D" under the control cock and the same flat screw holding the reflector.

IMG_2773.JPG

And for your interest.
    AL10.jpeg

9. Phil Harris

So, no heat shield then, that seems definite. I don’t know about the “D” but I’ll look for it when I see the lamp again next Thursday.

Lovely collection of lamps in the background there, Antony!

What is interesting is that the original AL10 was rated at 150 CP, half the normal output. I’m not sure how this was achieved; presumably the original vapouriser had a smaller jet size and was fitted with a different mantle, as the burner looks identical to the normal 300 CP type. Or did the tank simply operate at lower pressure? Was the pressure indicator calibrated to indicate ‘full’ at a reduced pressure? The flow rate of paraffin vapour through the jet is proportional to the square root of fuel pressure. I must say that the AL10 reaches good brightness with barely 20 strokes of the pump. Mind you, the tank volume is relatively small and the pump is a standard size.

I have no way of knowing whether the vapouriser on this lamp has been replaced during its 85-year life, but it’s highly likely. All I can say is that this lamp is really bright, brighter than many of my conventional “300CP” Tilleys.

Phil

10. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

@Phil Harris Well fettled Phil, a grand lamp. @Anthony Thanks for sharing. Good to know there are at least two of these rare GWR stamped lamps.

11. Phil Harris

Thanks, Stevie. There must have been hundreds, most of which were scrapped. I guess those that remain are thankfully now in the safe hands of collectors.

12. Anthony

That is a bit odd being advertised as 150cp.
    Two air inlet burners as in other AL and FL models are smaller burners so 200cp I understand.
    This being 3 air inlet with a 449 hood is ..... odd
    There are no burners showing in the gallery and mine is not original so if anyone could have a look to see if theirs has a smaller burner that would be interesting.

:) I have had mine giving light with 1 pump.

13. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Must check one of my lamps, it’s not an Al10, but the burner and heat shield are both stamped GWR. Would be interesting to see if the pump is the same.

Thinking about it though, I might have changed the pump when I got it.:-k