1936, March--- 235

Discussion in '234, 235' started by hikerduane, Aug 15, 2019.

1. hikerduane

Just got this, minor fettling to get going. Fount inside was very nice, no loose material. Fuel cap was stuck as was the collar thing holding the pump in. New cap washer, off to the races. Ran on petrol first as I wasn't sure what the generator was set up to burn. After it was running, did the 235 substitute genny build, 220E body, 201 spring, 200A pricker rod and genny tip to try kero. Ran bright and perfect. Need to buy a smaller priming cup and find something to keep it in place so it doesn't slide when dumping fuel out. One of two pricey lanterns I have now. Will post a flame shot as it is on my other tablet.
    Duane
    IMG_5504_opt.jpg IMG_5503_opt.jpg IMG_5506_opt.jpg IMG_5516_opt.jpg IMG_5510_opt.jpg IMG_5507_opt.jpg IMG_5505_opt.jpg IMG_5509_opt.jpg IMG_5515_opt.jpg IMG_5508_opt.jpg IMG_5513_opt.jpg IMG_5512_opt.jpg 20190815_093146_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2019
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A very lucky find!:thumbup::thumbup:
    A metal cable clip shoved onto the air tube will hold the meths cup in place or piece of twisted wire will also do the job, but a metal cable clip is neater.

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Excellent, Duane. :thumbup:

I don’t see this lantern around these parts.

Cheers

Tony

4. hikerduane

Thanks Jeff, Tony. Good to see you here. Been wanting this model for quite some time, they just go for so much money. Between my three week trip out of state, a canvas top for my pickup and this, spent most of a months income. Did sell one of my motorcycles, so the money is there.
    Duane

5. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

That’s a nice find. Seems to be working well.
    Cheers Pete

6. hikerduane

Thank you Pete, runs very well. Need to find a clip to keep a meths cup from sliding down the genny when dumping fuel.
    Duane

7. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Great lamp, great lit!

Stevie

8. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Its a 235 so it's a kero lantern and the burner intake air tube will be restricted for kero. It will run on CF but probably better on the fuel it was designed for. It should have a T44K generator or the later equivalent 206A-5891. The gas tip is marked V and is 0.008" dia. These are not at all common so you have a prize. ::Neil::

9. hikerduane

From my research, a .006 tip is best, had the "V" on the genny that came with it and ran great on Coleman Fuel. My understanding that size would be too big for kero, went with experts ahead of me. Yes, what I figured before was the pickup is a straight pickup, like slants, QL lanterns and lamps. Easy start up, used a torch to preheat the genny when I switched to kero. T44K gennys are not available, had read they did not work perfect. Experts stated to go with the setup I used as posted in a earlier post.
    Duane

10. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Nothing wrong with T44K generators. I have several here on working lamps and they perform well. I've been doing this for 50 years and I can tell you the best way to use a lamp is always the way the manufacturer intended when he sold it. You don't need to try to improve things just treat it right and it will perform for you. ::Neil::

11. hikerduane

T44K gennys are nonexistent, can't see making a shelf queen if there is a way to get a gpa running. Per my online searches, the above combo is what experienced guys have tried and used. Surprised, many kero stoves I get from Europe have had some nasty fuel run thru them, maybe just individual users using poor quality fuel.
    Duane

12. george

george United States Subscriber

Great find! I have one here dated Dec 1935. I'm lucky all the bells and whistles are there. Restored it sometime ago. Directions say it will run on gasoline/camp fuel but.. please run it on the fuel intended. They operate great on kerosene. :D/ I also have a 234 I restored sometime back. All I need to completely restore it is that damn elusive spring clip for the meth cup![-o<

13. hikerduane

I'll be on the hunt for a 234 next. Primus 96's first though, need another 7 or 8 for the letter dated years and a 1910.
    Duane