1937 FL5

Discussion in 'FL5 Floodlight Projector' started by David Shouksmith, Aug 17, 2011.

1. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

1313615807-FL5_-_a.jpg 1313615826-FL5_-_c.jpg 1313615841-FL5_-_d.jpg 1313615860-FL5_-_e.jpg 1313615878-FL5_-_f.jpg 1313615907-FL5_-_g.jpg 1313615930-FL5_-_h.jpg

I thought my FL5 was the same as the one Ian has posted here but looking at his, I spot at least one difference. Ian's lamp shows a plate in the centre of the reflector at the rear - I presume this was to blank off the hole through which the single air intake would have passed in the first version of the FL5 and would suggest Tilley were modifying their stock of reflectors to use them up. My reflector doesn't have this blanking plate so I assume my lamp is slightly later than Ian's.

I would venture to suggest, therefore, that Pete's two lamps represent either end of a spectrum and Ian's and mine are transitional versions resulting from Tilley using up their stock of parts.

Whatever, my lamp has the long spindle control cock, the 4-hole NRV and earlier door catch arrangement. I like the enamelled ventilator, which appears far more resilient than the later, painted, ones and has survived well, although the whole lamp appears to have seen only light use. A light fettle - cleaning and new seals - should see it working as Tilley intended.

It also has the benefit of the short stand and the metal grid to protect the glass.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

The lack of a blanking plate means almost certainly 1937 and the last incarnation of this model. Nice thing to have and a year or so either way make no difference to the enjoyment of owning one. ::Neil::

3. David Shouksmith

That would mean that Pete's "1936" is also 1937 and, I'd guess, after mine because it has the later door catch...

4. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

These early FL models were not on sale for long. I think FL1 is about 1930 with 2 following in the next year. FL3/4 is about 1933 to 1935 ish and FL5 1935 to 1937. So there are three variants of FL5 to get into about two years of sales. I don't know when the single air burner was replaced with the twin but we can say with some certainty that single is 1935 and last twin is 1937. I am not going to argue with anyone about what was being made in 1936. Could be any or all of the three types. All three could be 1935 or 1937. We know the progression but not the dates. Anyway to be able to pin a Tilley of this vintage down to a two year period is pretty good so 1935 to 1937 is about the best any of us can do for all of them . ::Neil::

5. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Great lamp you have there dave i like them better than the FL6 easier to carry over the shoulder only trouble is the narrow pump was a good move going over to the bigger bore on the FL6 I reckon, earliest advert i have seen is november 1937 for the new FL6 so its got to be earlier than this dave a year or two dont matter great lump to have.

cheers pete

6. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Been looking at some of micks papers here tonight the earliest one i can find for the FL6 is march 1937 so its before this. Now a advert for the SL1 and SP1 in August 1935 show the two tube burners in both of them,the SL1 has a clip fixing like yours dave and the SP1 has the screw fitting like my FL5 could well be 2 tube burners were also in use from this date on the FL series as well so could be earlier than we thought dave.
    Just been looking at all the ones posted on here dave notice the hole in the reflectors where the vapouriser comes thro in mine and yours its a slot not the ususl oval hole!!

pete

7. David Shouksmith

Pete, you've got eyes like a sh*thouse rat! :lol: