1939 Coleman 168K

Discussion in '168K, 151 (Canada) 168KC, 168KS' started by Sedgman, Nov 20, 2020 at 7:11 AM.

1. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

These are an okay lamp but I now prefer Shellite lanterns in the Coleman series! Fettling these has been challenging despite simple appearances. ](*,)

Anyway this November 1939 unit works well and quietly. The original Canadian shades were fabric and laced and I have none so I have added a glass shade which goes okay with it. A globe was another option. If I was firing it up again I would probably use Coleman #20 mantles as they are a smidgeon smaller than the ones I used which hit on the pre-heater cup.

shade.jpg

burning.jpg close.jpg

These lamps differ a bit over the years. The riser tube in 1935 had a round fitting at the base beneath the wooden handle and in 1939 and 1945 the fitting was square.

The control valve wheel was not the 12 ribbed type on the 1935 model but round and fine lines.

Here are some photos of a 1935, 1939 and 1945 in comparison (L to R)
    20201007_162019 - Copy.jpg 20201007_162046 - Copy.jpg 20200913_110607 - Copy.jpg

The rear of the burners:

Back 1935 - Copy.jpg Back 1939 - Copy.jpg Back 1945 - Copy.jpg

The front of the burners

Front 1935 - Copy.jpg Front 1939 - Copy.jpg Front 1945 - Copy.jpg

The valve wheels 1935 and 1939

1935 and 1939 - Copy.jpg

The generators were all R55 with a square nut at the bottom.

Thanks

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's working okay!:thumbup:

3. Matty

I agree with something that I once saw @Mackburner write. If a shade fits and looks good that's all that matters. I like your shade though it is probably a touch too large for this lamp even if it is only 10". Each to their own, I'm sure I have shades on lamps that aren't quite the right dimension's for the lamp. Often you have to make do the best one can.

Many of the GPA companies or their agencies, sold lamps with or without shade. Back in the day most households had a spare shade that was off a clapped out lamp. It made buying a new lamp more affordable if one didn't have to buy the shade too.

Your post was a pretty cool and educational one with your side by side comparisons. It takes effort to produce such a post and I'm glad you took that effort.

I am quite jealous of your clean workbench space.

4. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

@JEFF JOHNSON @Matty

Thanks Matty and Jeff,

Yes, I realised the lamp was not at its best but even so you both were prepared to offer some considerate comments and I appreciated your responses. Pleasing to get them.

Yes, the 10" shade was the only shade I had that would fit the holder correctly even though it is, and I agree a tad too big but it finished it off a bit. Strangely this lamp was bought for spares and the other two proved remarkably stubborn and despite checking at each step of the way, cleaning, repacking valves, trying brand new R55 generators (that leaked). Was there a bad batch 3 to 5 years ago? I'm certainly not impressed by the quality of the ones I purchased back then. In the end I was just pleased to get it going and you are correct Jeff, it burns very well now.

I had been hoping to have all three going but not till I sorted out a few problems and I did manage to damage a part whilst straightening it ever so carefully. :oops: Sometimes you have a dream run fettling and other times, well not so much.

Regards

5. Matty

It is actually surprising how different in size shade holders can be from lamp to lamp. Going against the grain of what I said above "Many of the GPA companies or their agencies, sold lamps with or without shade.", quite a few of the companies seem to organise their shades to fit a shade holder particular to their lamps. It is a nightmare trying to find shades to fit some lamps. It is much easier to change the shade holder.

6. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

Which shade should be on that lamp?

7. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

@Jean J
    I believe only fabric shades; not glass. One of mine had the shade ring still and the finial.

8. Matty