1951 - Coleman 200

Discussion in '200' started by stormie4me, May 22, 2013.

1. stormie4me

one of my favorites ;totally restored and works like new.
    Marked 6-51.

1369180636-x-mas_dated_6_-1951__sears_001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Hi Stormie.
    I moved this from China where you accidentally posted it first.
    But I don't know what a Christmas lantern is, so I had to put it under Coleman-other.
    Doesn't it have any model number as Coleman usually does?

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I think it's a 200 but it's very difficult to tell and I'm no expert. I think the Christmas bit refers to the colour scheme - green tank and red top which is supposed to resemble a Christmas tree in a pot - except upside-down. :?

Please could we have this re-posted with images that are of a useful size?

4. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes This will be a 1951 model 200 Gasoline lantern. ::Neil::

5. stormie4me

sorry guys ;and yes after i posted the lantern i realized i posted in the wrong section ;was going to change it ;next time i will be more carefull as to where i attach photos ;

6. stormie4me

the model is a 200-A coleman christmas lantern made for only a few years ;i could take a different picture and try to have it more larger ;its dated 6-1951 again im no expert as to taking pictures but i will try ;

7. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Thanks.
    Another thing you should pay attention to, is to insert the images correctly in the post once you have uploaded them.
    I'm sure you've noticed that you get one or two options in the upload/file manager: "Thumbnail" and/or "Fullsize" (Thumbnail is only available in the reference sections).
    What you need to do is to place the marker in the text where you want the image to appear, then click e.g. thumbnail once for each picture.
    Just make sure you are on a new line when you do this, meaning that it not shall be on the same line as the text. E.g. One or two returns shall be pressed first.
    This is mainly why I write this here, because many others aren't aware of how messed up the posts look for some of us (it depends on the screen resolution) when the image just is "clicked in place" directly after the text.
    I often has to clean this up, so now I take any chance to remind people about not doing this error with placing the image code anywhere in the text. :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  8. itsawhalefish

Not actually made for a couple years, here is the break down:

1 - 51 - Christmas 200 - Brass Fount
    6 – 51 - Christmas 200 – Steel Fount
    6 - 51 - Christmas - First 200a - Steel Fount
    8 - 51 - Christmas - Steel Fount - Decal added
    12 - 51 - Last Christmas - Steel Fount

So basically made only in 51. Then it went to the black band. Also, never referred to as a Christmas lantern by Coleman.

9. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

So why do collectors (presumably) refer to them as 'Christmas'? Is it just that red and green are perceived to be 'Christmas' colours?

10. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes exactly that, the colours are seen as Christmassy by collectors. It was never a Coleman phrase although Coleman did do Christmas adverts most years and these would feature new products. As new products were normally introduced in the October it is quite possible they advertised this lamp as being "New for Christmas" ::Neil::

11. stormie4me

thanks there itsawhalesfish;i stand corrected as the christmas lanterns were only made one year ;and yep than came the black bands which i have a few of them dated in the 50s ;so many i cant keep tract ;but its fun' :lol:

12. ThosKiwi

Hello Stormie4me

Is your 200 manufactured in USA or Canada?

Cheers
    ThomasL