I picked this lantern up a while ago of E-bay . It came from the same Scout Group @Tony Press purchased this Austramax 3/300 (early) from. It’s a Coleman 249 Scout manufactured in Australia in 1951 by arrangement with Coleman Lamp & Stove Co. Ltd CANADA. It looked in reasonable condition though some of the components looked out of place. Obvious one was the glass. I’m still looking for a correct replacement. The hood doesn’t match with the style used on other 242 / 249’s I have from this era. It doesn’t match a later 249E either. I think it is from a Coleman 200 or 200A. I replaced the hood with one from a donor lantern I have. The pump was too shiny and too long. This was also replaced from the donor lantern. (Original top, correct pump lower) Now down to the actual fettle. I pressure tested the lantern and there were no leaks. So I lit he lantern on the bench without a mantle and it lit. It’s looking good so far. I pulled the lantern apart (no problems there). The vapouriser / generator was bent but I look at that later. Inside the tank were signs of rust in places where the protective coating had broken down. So after washing out the tank with soapy water and a handful of steel nuts I poured in some rust remover. I left it sitting on the bench to do it thing whilst I continued cleaning the frame and other components. After a while I noticed a puddle under the font. It seems there was a hole (4 actually) in the base that didn’t leak until the rust was removed. Repairing the holes. I decided to solder the holes first. 1. Cleaned and sanded the area around the holes. A lot of pitting made this job difficult. 2. Gently hammered a depression around the holes. 3. Tinned the surface to be soldered. This was more difficult than I expected. Either the pitting or treatment of the steel base must have held contaminants. 4. Filled the depression with solder. 5. Ground and sanded the solder until I was happy with the result. I didn’t want to disguise the repair completely so left it visible for future reference. 6. Painted the base with lacquer to help prevent further corrosion. Treating the inside of the font. I haven’t tried to seal the inside of a font before but have had a KBS fuel tank sealer kit sitting on the shelf for a while. So decided now was the time to give it a go. Following the instructions I cleaned the inside of the font and let it dry. I Skipped stage 2 (rust treatment) as this had already been done. I only wanted to seal the base and 1/2 " up the sides but had no Idea how much sealer I would need. I guestamated 50ml would do and used a syringe to extract the require amount and into the font it went. Swirled the sealer around until I had a good cover and waited. A picture of the sealer inside the font. The instructions said the application needs to be thin and don’t let it pool in one spot. 50ml was too much, 40ml would have ample. I had to suck out the excess. I allowed the excess sealer to pool on a piece of scrap plastic to see what happened. Whilst the sealer did stick to the scrap plastic a skin formed on the external surface of the sealer and a void formed under the external skin. Not a good situation if inside the font. Now waiting for the sealer to cure. More to come later.