1952 Primus 1084 Instant

Discussion in '1084 (inc Høvik)' started by M.Meijer, Jan 3, 2020.

1. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

One lamp that recently left my collection due to sales abroad is this rather rare Primus 1084 model.

Primus Ebay.jpg

This is an early variety with a rounded blue top adorned with a nickled disc with text. The later variety has a remarkable new style top which is not in abundance either. A copy of the well bred Petromax, although equiped with their own system of a starter, this model is perhaps the swan song of Primus as a lamp maker.

Like always, the difference is in the details.....

DSCN9019.JPG

with an exclusive pre-heater that according to experienced owners had its faults....

DSCN9018.JPG

and a remarkable new style turning wheel...

DSCN9020.JPG

a butterfly styled fuel cap and stopped connector for a pressure gauge...

DSCN9021.JPG

plus a tastfull ornament on top proclaiming its maker.

DSCN9016.JPG

Next to an engraved "Instant' in similar fashion, suggesting how quick this lamp could be actuated, this side of the bottom fount mentions the model number and the modest claim of its lighting capacities.

Even if well used, one cannot be picky to pass any 1084 you might, but then might never find on your way. The rare and imo tasty colour blue of the top should help you spot it when that lucky day arrives.

DSCN9034.JPG

While Primus mentions in their catalogues a fitting top reflector for this model, they seem even rarer than hen's teeth. However, being a Petromax copy, just such a shade will fit and makes for a very classic presentation.

2. Bo Ryman

Bo Ryman Founder Member Subscriber

Interesting to see the differences in the top design. Compared to the recently one posted by Oskar. My guess is that this must be the first early version of 1084.

Bo

3. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

I just saw you became the caretaker of the later version a good year ago, Bo: congratulations!
    An odd style top more in the range of Captain Marvel and very, very noticable!
    What intrigues me is why Primus decided these colourfull changes; maybe a desperate attempt to increase sales? Then evidently my early version was not blitzy enough and the design team went all out for the sky (blue)?
    When did these lamps disappear from the catalogues?

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

The build quality looks excellent!:thumbup::thumbup:

5. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

This light blue enamelled top was standard on all the 1084 lanterns. The 1084S introduced a new shape, which can be seen on some of the examples here in the gallery. The only difference with the top of the 1084 was the nickel plated disc at the very top. In 1949 and 1950 it was a smaller plate without the shaped edge. Here is a picture.
    IMG_4339.JPG

6. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

Nils, is that a brass disk as it left the works or did it lose its nickel plating?
    Would you know when Primus did stop listing these lamps in their brochures?
    Perhaps till the bitter end with plenty of stock? There must be some reason why these blue Primusses are so thin on the ground.

7. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

It is a nickel plated disc, it's just poor lighting for the photo.

These lamps were produced until 1956 and I have not seen them in any catalogues after that. Of course there must have been old stock that had to be sold after that, but they were probably already at dealers by then.

I think the price difference caused people to make do with the 1082. According to a 1950 price list, the 1082 was SEK 36 and the 1084 was SEK 42. It could also have had something to do with the reliability of the quick starter, but that would have required the information getting out.

8. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

Thank you Nils.