1952 Primus 991

Discussion in '991' started by Nils Stephenson, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

This 991 is a typical example of the variation as made from 1949 until 1954. The control knob is a larger diameter than previously and the handle does not have a loop for hanging on a hook, just a small depression. The glass now has the Primus name in a straight line and is marked as coming from Mainz.

This lantern is from 1952 and is stamped AR 4 underneath. The enamell top is in poor condition, but the rest of the lantern is quite good. It also came with the original box.

1316955777-Primus_991_AR_front.jpg

1316955777-Primus_991_AR_front.jpg 1316955793-Primus_991_AR_back.jpg 1316955803-Primus_991_AR_box.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Sweden Subscriber

Really neat lantern, it could just be used as a postcard. This confirms that my 991 also has all it's original parts left. :thumbup:

Are you gonna light it up or leave it as it is :lol: ?

3. Nils Stephenson

If it was going to be used as a postcard, it would need a better top. It's a pity the top is so rusty as the rest is really quite good.

When is your 991 from. Maybe you'll have to add some pictures to the forum?

These days I just clean up the lamps and get them in working condition (if possible) but don't actually light them. I've got plenty of lamps that I use, so no need to waste a mantle and possibly jets and cleaning needles on one more. If it's an unusual lamp I like to see it running though.

4. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Sweden Subscriber

Haha, I think there's really well taken care of this lantern.
    Mine is also from 1952.
    Yeah, but for a collector who doesn't have so many lanterns it's best to light them all... :lol:. But I see your point, if you already have so many there's no need to light all of them up.

If you want, I'll add some pictures. It was the one I had with me on the Primus-meeting. ;)

5. Nils Stephenson

By all means, add it as a new topic. The more the merrier. :)