1952 SL61 hospital/survey lamp

Discussion in 'SL61- SL62' started by Matthew92, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Here is my example of this lamp. It appears to be in unfired condition as there is no soot in the hood and the enamel isn't cracked and lifting on the top. I have based my dating on the fact that it seems to be the same as Neil's example. Unfortunately it also appears that I have managed to get the only example that has at some point been dropped on it's end and as a result the wood blocks that hold the tank in place in the box have put a nice dent in each side of the tank. Oh well... :-& Otherwise I hope you like it.

1347651877-SL61_c.jpg
    1347651859-SL61_a.jpg 1347651867-SL61_b.jpg 1347651885-SL61_d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Shed-Man R.I.P.

Hi matthew, If you have space please take that one to Ashover with you as I would like to see it close-up. I will bring the ex-army version that I have and we can compare. Steve.

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Nice - it's always good to see Tilley stuff with the swing tag still attached... =P~

Mine came with two vapourisers in the angled Terry clips but I don't know if that's correct. It also had a scruffy piece of scrim cloth and a bottle brush which I assumed were later additions during its service life. Not being able to see the point of the bottle brush, I lobbed it out. Now, every one of these I see has a bottle brush, :doh: :cry: - but I still can't figure out what it's for. :whistle:

You need a spirit bottle and torch to go in the clip to the right. A spare globe in the tin container is always a plus-point IMHO...

Has the strut supporting the upper suspension loop also taken some damage? - I don't recall them being angled like that...

4. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Ok Steve, I should have room for it. I was thinking of bringing it anyway so now I have an excuse I will. :lol:

5. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Thanks David, the tag was in the box when I got it so I don't actually know where it would attach but there seems as good as any. I think the vapourisers are supposed to go in those clips, I can't quite work out how the funnel clips in. Mine has the bottle brush but as you say I don't know what it is for, i've also got the 12 mantle box but only 2 left and 1 wrapper. :cry: Just for interests sake here is the list of contents that came with the lamp when new.

1347654872-Contents.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  6. Shed-Man R.I.P.

That Tag list is so useful Matt. Thanks, I often wondered what the true contents of the boxes should be. Now we know. Well done! Steve.

7. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Glad to help Steve, For some reason I got two slightly different ones with it. One looks as though It might have been taped to something at some time so perhaps the outside of the box. There is also a Tag on the top of the box but most of it is missing. I can make out

Cat. 1
    Lamps
    Survey
    Con. No.
    Qty. 1

That is all that remains. There would probably be more after those bits that I have listed.

8. StephanE

StephanE Subscriber

The only purpose I can imagine for the brush is to clean the feed arm tube when unscrewed from the tank...

Edit: Could it be that the brush is part #180 »burner cleaning brush« mentioned in the leaflet?

http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/4058

9. mr optimus

Hi there Matt what a brilliant find, i all so think your SL61 has never been fired up.
    Infact i dont think it has been out of its case much or handled as the swing tag is in mint condition.
    Will you be thinking of fireing it up, when you take it with you to Ashover,i will understand if you dont in this case

10. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Matt, it's a fine lamp and it's useful to have that list of contents! :thumbup:

The strut for the hanging loop has had a knock backwards, it should be vertical, Jeff.

11. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Hi Mr Optimus, I may fire it up but it certainly won't be with that hood on. My first PL53 had a near mint hood when I got it and I wish I had never fired it up now but you live and learn right. :doh:

Hi Jeff, It does seem to be bent but even now it rubs the tin for the spare globe. I don't think the lid would close properly if I were to bend it straight but I may be wrong, I shall have a look. Best regards Matt.

12. David Shouksmith

Certainly is! - and if this is Mark V, what about Marks I-IV (and beyond?)

13. mr optimus

To be honest i think thats a great idea, taking off the burner hood if you fire it up
    You could if you do fire it up swop the hoods over with one you all ready have

14. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Hmm that's a puzzle perhaps that relates to the different variations such as steel tanks or age maybe. Speaking of age I just managed to date mine. I was studying the label on the box when I noticed it. Just visible above the "ny" on company is 1952 so there we go. :D

1347660877-Box_label.jpg

15. paul m

paul m Subscriber

Who whipped the reflector....always interesting packing the lamp into the box with that in it...

16. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Hi Paul, the reflector is here, you can just see it to the left of the box in the picture with the lid down. You are right though I haven't worked out how it fits in the box yet. There is a piece of metal loosely screwed to the side of the on in the front which I imagine is something to do with it. Regards Matt.

17. David Shouksmith

Ho-lee shit - should've gone to Specsavers!

I'll have to have a look at mine in the morning... (when reality returns) :lol:

18. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Matt, check out the box in the link below and you will see how it all fits in, Jeff.

http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/2755

19. David Shouksmith

So, a vapouriser in one pair of clips and a bottle brush and seals kit in the other..?

20. JEFF JOHNSON

Well, there may be some room for improvement, but it shows the general layout, Jeff.

21. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Ok David, take it easy go and rest your head. :lol:

Hi jeff, thats great thanks. I tried straightening up the hanger and it wasn't having any of it. The lid was no where near shut so I think it will have to stay bent. :(

22. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Matt, there is a problem with the box then, Jeff.

23. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

I suppose if the accessory clips where fitted by hand then they may have difficulty with some of them fitting once everything was put in the box so the easy option could have been to bend that out of the way. Just a thought anyway.

24. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Matt, some of the collectors at Ashover may be able to sort it out. Jeff.

25. David Shouksmith

Yeah, i'll bring mine, too, and we can see what it's all about... :thumbup:

26. Shed-Man R.I.P.

Matt, is the Funnel shown in your box original? Is it a Tilley funnel? Mine has got the usual Tilley cranked-spout Tilley one.

Also can you tell me the dimensions of the spare globe tin please. I am trying to replicated one, as the chances of finding a spare original are pretty slim. Has yours got a spare globe in it?

Steve.

27. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Good idea Jeff, I shall hope so.

Ok thanks David.

Steve, I think the funnel is original it has the mesh filter and the groove up the spout to allow air the get in whilst filling. The dimensions of the tin are approximately:

118mm in diameter
    132mm in height
    there is a 4mm rim around the bottom
    the lid is 17mm deep
    there is a raised part about 15mm from the top to the centre of the raised part.

I shall try to put all of that onto a picture of the tin to make it easier. Yes there is a spare "Hysil" globe inside the tin packed with the original tissue paper. This also leads me to think that the globe on the lamp is still the one it came with as it is an identical one. Best regards Matt.

28. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

Matthew, I see that on the list of accessories on your instruction leaflet your cleaning brush is described as a burner cleaning brush - or have I got it wrong? Great find anyway.

29. kl80

Im going to bring my three along. Maybe we should call it the SL61 festival of light.

Nigel

30. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Ahh I see what you mean. Maybe but it is a strange brush for cleaning the burner I would have thought. I suppose being an outdoor lamp you might get spiders and things getting into the intake tubes so it's a good possibility.

Hi Nigel, three is just showing off :lol: this is my first one. I think we should definitely light them all up and have a group photo. :thumbup: