1954-58 Bialaddin 310

Discussion in '310' started by Tive, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Tive

Tive Sweden Subscriber

Hello everyone!

This I my Bialaddin 310 that I found recently. It is in the condition it was found and it came with the box and the original globe!

It runs great (as all Vapalux / Bialaddins I have) and they seem to be very well engineered and simple in construction which in turn make them very serviceable.

Bialaddin 310 Cover.jpg Bialaddin 310 Front.jpg Bialaddin 310 Left.jpg Bialaddin 310 Rear.jpg Bialaddin 310 Right.jpg Bialaddin Frame.jpg Bialaddin 310 Burner.jpg Bialaddin Glass.jpg Bialaddin 310 Running.jpg Bialaddin 310 Shed.jpg

Best regards / Fred

2. LanternTom

LanternTom United States Subscriber

Very nice

3. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

A great example of a fine lantern.

4. DP2

DP2 Subscriber

That's a nice find, doesn't look like its seen much use. The 310 is a good looking lamp, much nicer than the other small glass 315 and 320. Just completed my 310 but it needed a bit more work than yours!

5. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

A great looking lamp!

6. ColinG

People seem to go crazy over the 320 but my favourite Bialaddin is the 315... followed by the original straight sided 300. I do like the 310 though.

7. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A fine example!:thumbup:

8. george

george United States Subscriber

Beautiful example!:D/
    I think the 310 is my favorite Bialaddin lantern. The design is just perfect! :thumbup:
    I have at last count, three! One is NOS.:lol:
    Time to move on!

9. george

george United States Subscriber

Oh, yes, icing on the cake, you have the original globe, too!:clap:

10. ColinG

Just noticed part of your collection behind the last photo - impressive!

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Subscriber

Love the 310 and that is a sweet example.

12. DP2

DP2 Subscriber

The 310 and 315 were only in production for a relatively short time and both are relatively rare compared with the 320 which was in production for many years and to me at least appears a bit cheap and nasty compared to its predecessors.
    My favourite lamp must be the Vapalux 300, especially the early version or any Vapalux / Bialaddin with a brass hood. The vapalux E41 is also a lovely lamp but so far I have been unable to add one to my collection.

13. ColinG

Same, the E41 is the only one I haven't got as they fetch serious money. I guess one might turn up if the seller doesn't know what it is our it's described wrongly.

14. Tive

Tive Sweden Subscriber

Yes the 310 is a nice one, i have the Vapalux 300, Bialaddin Military 305, 310,315 and one military 320 from 1970.

Guess i need one civil 305 :-)

I think the 310 is my favourite at this moment, but the 300 will be lovely once i restore it.

And yes Colin, i have a few lanterns (as most of you guys) i try to only have one of each model, but still, there is a lot of models and variants for sure :-)

15. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

First of all, congratulations with such a - by now rare in this condition -lamp. New in the box, right? I am curious how you managed to get such a lamp: were you in Britain or do you have connections?

Not too long ago a similar offering (if not the same) appeared on the 'bay, but the seller was a frustrating dud. He/she advertised it for only £50.00, and for quite some time, convincing me the home market is fed and full, or the lads in Albion are asleep.

Mike

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  16. Tive

Tive Sweden Subscriber

Hi Mike,

It was not NIB, it was lightly used and somewhat dirty, but cleaned up well. i saw in the listing that it had the original green metallic color, and that it had the original glass globe, so i purchased it on buy it now. for £54

I said in the first post that it is in the condition found, which is true as i did not restore or repainted the lantern, but it was dirty and i had to change fill cap seals and pump leather.
    Regards Fred,

17. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

Fred, so you were lucky to find a seller willing to ship abroad? Unfortunately those with a more realistic look on trade are a stark minority. But good for you!

Now, this is the very first time a metallic finish on a W&B lamp is mentioned to my knowledge. Indeed, since you indicated this, I can see it in your pictures. So far, the 310 seemed to be painted in just a lighter colour green in comparison to the 300X and 305.
    You can conclude that I do not have this model, as it does not appeal to me so much as to hunt for it.
    But I would have scooped up that same lamp had I been there in time!

Regards, Mike

18. Tive

Tive Sweden Subscriber

It is a very fine metallic color, very much like the metallic colors on the cars of that era. infact if you look at the photos where i have it running, it looks like a non metallic color.

Ian Ashton has a lantern that looks exactly like mine, in even better conditon, take a look at this thread.
    1954-58 Bialaddin 310

Regards Fred,

19. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

A very nice lamp indeed. It’s good to know that there’re still lamps in this condition out there in the wild.
    Enjoy.
    Cheers
    Pete