1961 X410A

Discussion in 'X410-X410A-X458-X460' started by Glenn, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Glenn

Just arrived via postman today. Found it in St. Louis, Mo. by way of Craigslist. Called the fella and asked if he would ship it to me. Yes....Great! Little soap, water and polish.

On the bottom is stamped 261XA....I presume it is date code for February 1961

It will go well with my other Tilley lanterns & Heaters....Now I need a table lamp!

Glenn

1299532536-Tilley_X410__A___Craigs_St_opt.jpg 1299532561-Tilley_X410__A___Craigs_St_opt_2_.jpg 1299532578-Tilley_X410__A___Craigs_St_opt_3_.jpg 1299532599-Tilley_X410__A___Craigs_St_opt_4_.jpg 1299532620-Tilley_X410__A___Craigs_St_opt_5_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Glen, you got the date right and congratulations on obtaining such a fine example. :thumbup: (Who's a lucky boy then!) :)

This lamp and it's siblings make a fine group if you can find them.

3. JEFF JOHNSON

Check out the link below to see a group of these small tank lamps, it's the last image on the page, Jeff.

http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/lantern/tilleylant.html

4. USDAN57

USDAN57 R.I.P.

Now doesn't that make you wonder how a fine old Tilley like that wondered so far from home? And hid away for so long. Dan

5. Glenn

Jeff, Yes, I have seen that neat little bunch many, many times :-)

Dan, Kinda-Sorta..but than again, these were made for export. Lamp Doc..Bob Bauer says they are very hard to find in England and a rarity down under. But Yea....St. Louis, Mo. on Craigs for $30....Whoddathunkit :-)

6. USDAN57

USDAN57 R.I.P.

I would ave dropped that cash in a New York Minute! Great score.Dan

7. JEFF JOHNSON

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2017
  8. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

All those small fount lanterns were export only and are all rare in the UK. I have four of them and they all came from the US. X410A comes in two variations or at least there are two different lanten heads used on this and X410. This one is shown with a two air tube burner which is what I assume was designed for this lamp and the others but there is also a three tube burner which became a CH1 conversion head and is the head generally found on X410A. I really should dig mine out and show them here. ::Neil::

9. Glenn

Neil,

Ah, thanks for your input. I have seen images of several of your lanterns in the last image of Tilley page @ Terry's website. I overlooked the 3 way air pick up on the ventilator. So, the 3 way is the X410A and the 2 way is an X410?

10. Mackburner

Yes that is what I would expect to see but you know what these lamp companines were like and it would not surprise me to find there was some overlap with the two tube job fitted to early A models.

As an interesting side note, sales of those A types must have been poor or at least less that expected because some later leak detector lamps have tanks marked X410A with a large decal over the stamp to hide it. ::Neil::

11. Mackburner

I have just been looking at these again whilst photographing my small lamps and I realised this one is not a 410A it is 410. The A version has the model number stamped in the tank. ::Neil::