1975 Tilley LT2

Discussion in 'LT1-LT2-LT3' started by Mackburner, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

This one appears to be the earliest of the LT lanterns. Dated April 1975 and the globe cage still has the mid ring which is missing on all the others so far shown here. That mid ring was stopped some time in 1976 and this lamp pre dates that change. The handle and such is painted black with no plastic coating but otherwise is very much the same as the later version.

::Neil:: 1321839591-Til_LT2_01.jpg

1321839611-Til_LT2_02.jpg 1321839634-Til_LT2_03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Could be wrong but the date looks to have been inscribed rather than stamped. Also missing the letters.

Not noticed that before - I'll have to find mine and have a look more closely...

3. Kenny Connolly

Hi Neil, Dave, here is mine it is dated december 1974 but the middle ring is missing ?? also my heat deflector seems to be the oppisit way to the one you have Neil?

cheers kenny... 1321881931-LT_2.JPG 1321881953-photo.JPG 1321881975-LT_2_A.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  4. David Shouksmith

Good point, Kenny - where Neil's heat deflector is situated wouldn't actually stop the operator's hand getting a tad warm! If it's screwed on then maybe it's been off and replaced in the wrong position. Otherwise maybe LT realised quite quickly the design error they'd made and rectified it in the MarkII version...

Mine's the same as yours, by the way, but the deflector is plastic-coated as well as the handle. Maybe they found that melted and changed it in later versions. Who knows with these things?

5. Kenny Connolly

Yes Dave its all a stab in the dark realy i have had this running and as Neil says it runs well with a good light so it would have been good for the boys on the London underground when they had nothing else...

they must have learnt a bit from Tilley .just use what they had lying around.. :lol:

kenny,,

6. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Kenny, the picture is a bit small but in the middle photo it looks like there are marks where a middle ring might once have been. Is that correct?

7. Kenny Connolly

Nils it looks like that but i cannot check right now but it didnt stand out to me at the time but i do see what you are saying i will look tomorrow and let you know
    cheers.. kenny..
    on closer inspection it may be shadows
    now i cant wait to see
    kenny...

8. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Interesting style of lamp, but they are a pain to fettle!

I fettled one and I got it working, but the air was rather blue by that time! :rage:

9. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

The heat deflector is rivitted on so it was made that way. The date appears to be a stamp and is the same size as all the other date marks on Tilley. I noticed there were no letters and I see there are none on Kenny's lamp. Odd and I assume there is some significance but can't think what that might be.

1971 is way too early for a globe cage without a mid ring. Seems these lamps might have been cobbled up from old stock and bits from different times used. I am begining to think the date stamps on these lamp may not be a reliable date indicator for the build and issue of these. ::Neil::

10. David Shouksmith

Probably Monday morning or Friday afternoon! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  11. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

If these lamps are like others used by various utilities and military, then there is no guarantee that the parts that are together now are what they started with. Most places with lots of lamps waited till there were a few to fix then did the lot together, not worrying which bits went together afterwards. As long as they worked everyone was happy. It's only now it confuses things for us poor collectors. Here in Denmark the Copenhagen phone company had Petromax, Optimus and Primus lamps at the same time and it is not uncommon to see one with bits from all three.