2 methods of tying double tie mantles

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by ColinG, Jul 13, 2018.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I posted a thread a while ago about using Butterfly mantles as double tie mantles by un-stitching the sewn end. What might not have been obvious, particularly for new lampies, is the different methods of tying mantles to the burner assembly.

On the back of Peerless DT 140s, there is a diagram that shows the method they favour like this...

IMG_3061.JPG

This is a little different to how Tilley shows how their 164 X mantles, so I drew a diagram that attempts to show the two methods side by side.

2-methods.jpg

When I use Butterfly mantles as double ties by undoing the stitching a the bottom seam, I use the method on the right as these mantles are a bit larger. I'm sure others my have a different opinion, but I think the second technique gives a better shape when the mantle is 'inflated' for the first time and forms a greater surface area.

2. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

I think it was our own Phaedrus42 who introduced the latter method when the Peerless double tie was introduced not so many years ago.
    It's a nice method to tie your mantle, and it works very well especially on mantles using a 'stiff fabric' like Peerless.
    Here's an old topic well worth reading on this particular subject.

Most of my double tied lamps are Primus, and Peerless tied in this manner work very well.

Of course the appearance is a large factor. Even when tied the 'nomal way', it generally will do its work.
    But all inactive lamps/lanterns looks so much better with a well formed mantle.:content:

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @ColinG

“Spingot”?

Cheers

Tony

4. ColinG

I don't know how many DT 140s Peerless manufactured but they really should have got someone to check them for typos! I was going to redo their diagram but in the end I figured I'd just leave it as it was. I don't want to be mean but it looks like a 5yo drew it, although you could argue it has a simplistic charm.

5. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Colin, If you volunteer to update the drawing and instructions, I can ask the new owners of Peerless to use your artwork on their packaging for the DT-140.

6. ColinG

Definitely! I almost re-drew it anyway rather when I took a photo. I was always doing this when I used to be the marcomms manager at the company I used to work for. I'll do it now even if it doesn't get used, I don't mind as I love using Illustrator.

7. ColinG

My version...

Peerless instructions.jpg

8. MYN

Very well done with the Illustrator, Colin. But as you had guessed, Peerless' diagram does have some sort of simplistic charm as it is. My opinion is just the way the new owner(s) incorporate some cultural tastes or styles to blend into its current place of origin.

9. Sellig33

Sellig33 France Subscriber

Marvellous description Colin !!!
    Thanks

10. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

The diagram is very clear and well done @ColinG
    I will be using your method on the larger mantles in the future.
    Cheers
    Pete

11. ColinG

If you want to experiment, you can use the same technique with cheap Butterfly mantles by un-tying the inside seam and using a freezer bag twisty tie to fasten the loose end to the spigot.