1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2000-750J From 10/08

Discussion in '2000, 2000A' started by HunterStovie-Lantern Guy, Jun 13, 2018.

1. HunterStovie-Lantern Guy

HunterStovie-Lantern Guy Subscriber

Unique features to this version are a Blackened Globe Guard and Bail

Instructions in Japanese.

2000 Porch.jpg 2000 Base.jpg 2000 Deck.jpg 2000 Globe.jpg

I will add pictures of the box when I find it.

Mike

2. HunterStovie-Lantern Guy

Some night time shots.

Night Wide.jpg Night Zoom.jpg Night Low.jpg

Mike

3. Sellig33

Sellig33 Subscriber

Hi Mike,
    What type of mantle do you use ?

4. Wim

Wim Subscriber

The Northstar uses a mantle that is unique to it. They are not cheap!
    Northstars are very bright, weak points are the mantles (not to be found in your "around the corner" shop, make sure to buy spares when you see them) and the battery powered spark igniter. They stop functioning way to quickly. I use long matches to lite mine nowadays. No idea what replacements cost.

Best regards,

Wim

5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Founder Member

Yeah, some years ago now, I got a NorthStar for £12 at a carboot sale. Unsurprisingly, the piezo-electric spark thingie didn't work and being unfamiliar with these US gasoline contrivances I lit it a couple of times, or maybe just the once. New piezo-electric ignitors proved to cost more than I'd paid for the lantern so I didn't bother with it any more. It's still around here somewhere. I did subsequently obtain a spare globe for it via eBay so maybe I had some plans in mind for it. :-k

I seem to recall that the mantles were a tubular, concertina-type affair with spring clips (Insta-clips?) at the top and bottom and quite expensive...

6. HunterStovie-Lantern Guy

@Sellig33
    The mantles are #95, tubular, and unique to the NorthStar, Pinnacle, and the new Northern Nova which uses 2 of them and to me is a bit overkill.

As for the ignitor, I bought spares years ago incase one fails, but this one is still going, as in making noise but is pretty useless for actually lighting the lantern. The design works better on the Pinnacle which is a propane lantern. I could probably modify the placement of the anode to get it to work better but I don't want to permanently modify the lantern.

Being relatively new to the lantern world. Is there a sock style mantle larger than the Coleman #21?

Mike

7. Norman

Norman Subscriber

Hi Mike,

I have one of these North Star lanterns which I run on kerosene/paraffin. It’s pretty easy to convert this lantern to kerosene/paraffin.

I don’t have any pictures of this lantern on my iPad so when I get home I will post some pictures of the lantern up and running.

These are great lanterns but the piezo tend to fail more often then not so one has to figure out another way to light these lanterns.

As for the #95 mantle well sometimes you can find these on sale but I mostly find mine at Walmart and I keep a small stock of these mantles just in case.

Cheers,
    Norman

8. HunterStovie-Lantern Guy

@Norman

I have a small stockpile of mantles for all of my lanterns. I learned a long time ago to be prepared, and to have a backup plan.

Mike

9. Sellig33

Sellig33 Subscriber

@Mike

I have some of them, Instaclip #95, I'll try them on Tito Landi, a no pressure french lantern.
    Thanks for the answer.
    Regards.

Gilles

10. HunterStovie-Lantern Guy

@Wim @David Shouksmith @Norman

This afternoon after doing some shopping at my local Coleman Outlet store I decided to try and fix the reliability of the electric starter on my lantern.

I borrowed this picture from Old Coleman Parts because I forgot to take a picture of mine while disassembled.

Burner.jpg

The bottom of the piezo electrode actually rides on top of a contact on the EI Module.

I shortened the electrode so that the bottom of the tip is above the lower mantle support. In my case is was originally 1/8" below.

Piezo.jpg

After replacing the mantle and making sure everything worked as it should I shut the lantern down long enough for any flames to go out. So this was a warm restart.

I pressed the start button and turned on the gas and after a few clicks it started.

Tonight I will see if it will start when cold or in this case 80 F which will be the outside temp.

If the EI Module works in your hand then it should work in the stove as long as the electrode is making contact with it.

Hope this helps

Mike

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  11. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Founder Member

Thanks, Mike - at some point I expect my NorthStar will re-appear and I'll try to see if your method brings about any improvement... :thumbup:

12. HunterStovie-Lantern Guy

@David Shouksmith

I'm currently 4 for 4 on lighting the stove after the modification. Probably just jinxed myself.

Mike

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  13. HunterStovie-Lantern Guy

I'm 10 for 10 now. Time to go camping

Mike