As I type, I'm running my Tilley X286 straight leg on UK standard central heating kerosene, also known as 28 second kerosene into which calcium carbonate has been added in an attempt to reduce the unpleasant sulphur odours when it is burned. Part One: Handling. When filtering and decanting the resultant fuel, I didn't notice any reduction in smell as compared to untreated 28s kero. Having filled the lamp with the 'reduced smell' kero it was preheated for 2 minutes and pumped. Part Two: Running. 28s kero burns noticeably brighter, something I've noticed before and the treated fuel is no different. It was very easy to light and required fewer pumps to get the mantle incandescing brightly as compared to lamp paraffin from the petrol station (gas station). In use there is a very slight sulphurous odour although it is really not very noticeable. Part Three: shutting off. In the past, this is the stage where you notice the worst odours as the heat from the recently extinguished lamp continues to vaporise a small amount of fuel left in the vaporiser. Having left it running for over two hours I decided it was time to shut it off. Unscrewing the pump or using the control valve to block the jet while still inside both caused lots of 'pong' in the past so I took it outside to perform this part of the test as I didn't want to stink the whole house out. Having taken it out on the porch, I used the control valve first and then released the pressure by unscrewing the pump. There was a momentary smell but that dispersed very quickly so I brought the lamp inside and it really didn't smell. I've tried this before with 28s kero and it always stank... so much so that the next morning you could still smell that the lamp had been used - it permeated the house - but the calcium carbonate treated kero doesn't! Conclusion: I'm stunned! I left the treated kero for weeks longer than intended because I genuinely thought there was absolutely no point. The science simply didn't back up the claim that this would take out the sulphur content and hence the smell. Added to this, the smell when it was cold seemed exactly the same as raw 28s kero so I figured I'd just wasted 2 gallons of heating kero but I can honestly say I will be quite happy to use my newly de-smelled kero in future. As a kind of control, I asked my wife her opinion and she was happy with the result and that's definitely an improvement. She's also got a sensitive sense of smell so it's not just wishful thinking on my behalf. The kids have always complained when I tried using heating kero but so far they've said nothing. So, I know have a useable source of lantern fuel that cost me roughly 50p a litre, which is about a quarter the price of the stuff they sell in the petrol station in town. Now I have to flush out the residue in the bottom of the Jerry can and dispose of it - probably by using it to help start bonfires in the garden when the weather improves.