1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

300x - Advice Please Re: Jet Cleaning Control Knob

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by daesm, Jan 12, 2018.

1. daesm

daesm United Kingdom Subscriber

Evening,

I would be grateful for some advice regarding my 300x. I started cleaning it up tonight, replaced seals etc. The problem I have is that the jet cleaner control know is just rotating around itself and when I came to start the lantern up it didn't fire up.

I've another 300x which I know works and the control knob on this one turns and stops on the 180 degree plane.

Any idea why the control knob is rotating on itself?

Thanks

2. MG United Kingdom

I believe that's normal on some of them, i have a few that rotate 360 degrees, as long as you can feel the cleaning needle through the jet when raised and then lower it for starting it should be fine unless there are other issues.

3. daesm

Now I am confused. The vapouriser is from a lantern that works so that is fine. I've changed all the seals and it pressurises ok and I have it a good pre-heat too. I'll have another look at it tomorrow :)

4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Great Lumley - cultural capital of N.E. England
    Yep, some of them have a restricted arc of movement ending with the pricker in the raised position when the jet cleaner knob shows the 'v' pointing upwards. Others just continually rotate but the same principle applies - when the 'V' is pointing up the pricker is raised in the jet. I think they did that because it's quicker and easier to flick the knob round and clean the jet without extinguishing the lantern. To turn the knob so far and then reverse the direction of rotation quickly takes a split-second longer. I can't think of any other reason for it.

Anyway, take the top off the lantern and gently run your fingertip over the top of the vapouriser. You should be able to feel the pricker just protruding from the jet when it's raised to its maximum position and then retract into the vapouriser as you continue to rotate the knob.

You can also unscrew the vapouriser and look down the top of the jet cleaner - you should be able to see reciprocating vertical movement of the operating cam-plate thingie as you rotate the knob...

5. daesm

Hi, this morning I did as you suggested David and tested to see if the pricker protudes from the jet, which it did. I also saw the cam plate thingy mijig move up and down too. So, full of hope, I pre-heated as normal and nothing again. It is pressurising, as you hear the hiss as you undo the air screw (after it has failed to light, that is).

So the vapouriser is off a lantern that works (will test it again tonight to make sure), as is the burner and mantle so I'm stuck as to why it is not lighting.

Anyone have any ideas before I have a cry? :)

6. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

You have a blockage somewhere. Have you tested to see if you get fuel flow from the tank and through the control block. It is not unknown for the fuel pick up tube to be clogged with old fuel residue. Just work from the bottom up until you find the bit that does not pass fuel. ::Neil::

7. daesm

Hi Neil, how do I do that? Is that by pressurising the tank and seeing if I get a jet of fuel out of the vapouriser?

8. KAB

KAB Belgium Subscriber

My experience is with Tilley lamps, but design is similar.

Try with the burner removed, no flow then release the pressure and remove the vapouiser and try again. If still no flow, release the presure again and remove the control cock, slowly pressurise again. This should show where the blockage is.
    Don’t try looking into the workings while pressised, just in case the blockage clears.

9. daesm

That'll be the job for tonight then once I've rebuilt my girlfriends bike, sigh....

10. daesm

No fuel is flowing when the vapouriser is in and when it has been removed. Sorry, if this is a noddy question but what do you mean by removing the control cock as if I do that then I just have the font left where the fuel can obviously fall out? Is there a way of taking the control cock apart?

11. Henry Plews

Henry Plews United Kingdom Subscriber

If you remove the control cock from the fount, you'll see that the fuel riser tube is soldered to the cock. Try blowing down through the cock - use use a cycle pump if you have one - poking a wire up the fuel tube may make matters worse. You could soak the whole unit in solvent to dissolve any varnish like fuel residues or simply unsolder the tube and either poke a wire through or simply burn-out the crap with a blow torch.

Henry.

12. KAB

KAB Belgium Subscriber

Ah, the difference between a Bialaddin and a Tilley, the Bialaddin has the pick up fixed to the control cock, the Tilley is not :content:

13. daesm

I've given up for the evening and decided to play with my bike instead. In fairness to Tilley I bought a guardsman the other week and it has just fired up first time. Must have been lucky!