321B helping me wire the generator shed

Discussion in 'Lamp Action Gallery' started by Thomas, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Thomas

Thomas Subscriber

20191130_143516.jpg
    Great workhorse of a lantern, I owned this lamp since the mid 90's and other than a new mantle every once in awhile and some oil in the pump it's been quite loyal.

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It does the job!:thumbup:

3. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

I am curious about the (need for a) generator shed. It sounds away from the grid? Mike

4. Thomas

Thomas Subscriber

We do live on a dirt road in Canada but are not off grid, our basement is kept dry by two sump pits which cycle about every five minutes during a heavy rain or the spring melt. Until recently my father lived with us and would be home during the day to start and connect the generator but has since moved intown leaving the house susceptible to flooding. I decided to install an automatic transfer switch and dual fuel generator this fall and with our climate a building was needed to shelter the unit and controls I am about halfway through the setup. It will also be nice not to have to go out and start the generator in -30 this winter. 20191027_141454.jpg 20191201_125415.jpg
    I also used a the 321b and a petromax 500HK while I was trenching to the house for the conduit 20191103_174631.jpg 20191103_180306.jpg

5. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

Ah, yes, those friggin' powerlines make a lot of folks focus on backup systems for wintertime. Minus 30°C sounds pretty much most of Canada, whereabouts are you located? You ended up with a Petromax also, so perhaps not too far from cities?
    The thought behind this is fleamarkets and secondhand stores.
    And since I am in question mode, what am I to understand for a dual fuel generator? Which fuels?

Regards, Mike

6. Thomas

Thomas Subscriber

I'm on the east coast in the province of New Brunswick, I don't live far from Saint John but I purchased the petromax from England via Ebay. Paraffin lanterns are almost non existent here other than flat wick storm lamps, Coleman lanterns on the other hand are very plentiful and can be had at yard sales for as little as 5 dollars.

The generator I purchased can run on propane as well as petrol, this allows me to leave the unit on standby fueled by propane but if we had an extended outage I could dip into my 50gal reservoir of Petrol.

Thomas

7. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

Your story appears that of a man with the western amenities yet considerably under control by nature. Most of us are pampered with facilities expecting them to function any day and thus without a thought to prepare. I can see where the Petromax comes in should Coleman fuel run out. Thank you for explaining. Mike

8. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Why is you basment flooding ?
    I mean you can't stop water getting in ? Or dig a well where the water then collects?

9. Thomas

Thomas Subscriber

Our home is in a long valley between two lakes and the water table is very shallow, we also have two natural springs close to the house so during heavy rain the water simply has no where to go. We installed a series of french drains around the house that lead to a central sump pump outside to relieve some of the hydraulic pressure from the foundation. The two pumps in the basement are 24" below the floor to keep the water from ever making it high enough to enter the building.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2019
  10. MarkC

MarkC Subscriber

Oh, that kind of generator shed. I was thinking you had a different shed for each kind of lantern spare part :-k

11. Thomas

Thomas Subscriber

Lol at one time I had a system similar to that but for chevy parts.