427/217 Quicklite...

Discussion in 'Other/Unidentified' started by David Shouksmith, Jan 21, 2011.

1. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Try as I might, I just can't seem to get a handle on identifying these... ](*,)

This one's Canadian and dated 1 30, which I presume is January 1930:-

1295571371-1930_Quicklite.jpg

Clearly not punched 'Quicklite' around the collar, but so-marked on the fount. Apart from that, the collar just looks so different from the other Quicklites I have, what with that great big 'mouth' for the control knob.

It's fitted with what appears to be a brand-new Q99 and has a tank nearly full of stinky North American gasoline. There's a typical Quicklite mica globe with it but it's in pretty poor condition...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Lant-ern

This came up on CCF. It may help

http://oldtownyucca.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=5050818

Ernie

3. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes I am sure their assessment is correct. I have doubts about model 220A though. I know some guys insist they were made and there is no doubt there are lanterns that fit the description. However I have yet to see any catalogue illustrating a 220A. We know the parts are listed and there is a reasonable argument that if the parts were made then so was the lantern. As far as I am concerned though I am not yet convinced of the model. When someone finds it illustrated in a catalogue or advert then I will become a believer. ::Neil::

4. USDAN57

USDAN57 R.I.P.

My vote is a Slant with the newer burner. Stinky North American gasoline??? Sure it is not Central or south American? Dan

5. Bob M

Bob M R.I.P.

If all this info with respect to this being a Coleman Canada product, why wasn't it seen in a US manufacture? Did Coleman Canada have their own staff of engineers/designers? It has the appearence of being thrown together from a bunch of left over parts. An attempt to "cross over" from the slant design to a more "conventional" burner design perhaps?

Bob

6. David Shouksmith

Who knows, Dan - I'm not that attuned to the various types you have over there!

Whilst (archaic English word to you US types, apparently) I've bought an armful of lanterns from the USA and Canada over the years, I'm confident I've never bought any from Central or South America.

I still don't really know what lantern I have here. Doesn't look like a 'bitsa' unless it was done decades ago...

7. Juan

bitsa?
    I saw many Coleman made in Brazil (only pics) but they are much recent models.

8. David Shouksmith

Yes, bitsa this and bitsa that, Juan...

9. Kenny Connolly

Hi guys here is a slant coleman the looks very like the lamp above..

kenny.. 1295627411-IMG_0166.JPG 1295627480-IMG_0165.JPG 1295627514-IMG_0164.JPG

10. USDAN57

USDAN57 R.I.P.

David Coleman used to have traveling repair clinic's so to speak. There you could take your Coleman product and have it repaired for free. Coleman had a series of trailers and repairmen that would set up to publisize a Coleman dealer or sporting goods shop. They were known for using what was on hand to get the product going. This is why quite often you will see earlier lamps with the Quick- lite burner. In those days that was a free upgrade! Dan

11. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

I remember the late Mr Herb Ebendorf telling me, that Coleman Canada were allowed to market products which were suited to the Canadian market, but were not popular in the USA..

For instance, paraffin (kerosene) products were more popular in Canada.

12. Bob M

Bob M R.I.P.

Because this is derived from an L220 did it retain the "Instant Light" function? If the same fuel/air tube system be it twin tube or tube in tube is present the valve that replaced the slant valve has to be "special". By that I mean the valve inlet thread has to press down on the "ferrule" that is at the top of that fuel/air tube to seal it to the bottom of the fount outlet socket. Then of course the threads themselves have to be sealed so that the "correct" alignment with the pump or fill port. This was always an issue with disassembly/assembly on a slant. Also on the lantern shown a Q-99, Q-77, or R-55 generator would have to be used due to the valve outlet thread. No tip cleaner provision. But the lantern shown in the image off the link has a tip cleaner. Curiouser and curiouser! :?

Bob

13. Matthewq4b

The is the short lived 427 that sat on the Slants 217 fount.

This is now the second of these lanterns to turn up. The other was also dated for 1930

This is not a cobbled together lantern but a very short lived very real 427 variation made by Coleman Canada.

The existence of the 220A and this 427 has been confirmed with the 1934 Coleman Canada Parts catalogue.

There are no illustrations of these lanterns in this catalogue but the 220A is definitely listed. And is listed as using the 220/228 slants fount and the 118B Lamps burner assy.
    The 220/228 slant founts part number is 217-165

This 427 is very obscurely listed and it is not until you dig in the parts listed in the back of the catalogue does it mention a 427 that sat on the 220 Slants 217 fount.

Both the 220A and this 427 variation required the use of unique fuel valves.

As we can recall the 220 Slant's 217 fount uses a separate fuel air tube that is not threaded in to the valve or the fount but has a compression collar that seals it to the fount and the bottom of the fuel valve.

On the 220 slant a male to male nipple is used. It has a strait thread 1/2 TPI thread that is threaded in to the fount to seal the pick up tubes collar and a 1/8" pipe thread is used on the top end to screw in to the bottom of the burner tube/ fuel block holder.

This makes the 217 fount unique in the fact that it is the only Coleman lantern fount to use a compression seal to seal to the fuel manifold/valve.

So it requires the use a special adapter/fuel valve to be used on these founts that NO OTHER Coleman lantern fount can use.

Now the 1934 Colman Coleman Catalogue lists the 220A/228A as using the same fount part number as the 220/228 Slant. There is no indication of Coleman Canada ever making a L220 ot L228 as I have not seen Canadian literature listing such models. In Canada it appears they were all just 220/228.

Now since whatever screws in to the 217 fount must seal on the fuel pick up tubes collar it makes this Lantern fount and the fuel valves that go in it very unique.

As we can recall the slant's fuel valve does not thread in to the fount. But is held in place by set screw on the Burner tube holder.

For the 220A/228A a unique fuel valve had to be made. The bottom portion of the fuel valve threads in the fount and seals on the fuel pick up collar. The top of the valve is a male 1/8" NPT that threads in to the 118B-304 eccentric block as used and listed for the 220A/228A lanterns in the 1934 Coleman Canada parts Catalogue on page 12.

The Coleman Canada part number for the 220A/228A fuel valve is
    Pt #220A-657 It is listed on page 12 under the 220A and 228A lanterns.

In addition on page 12 of the 1934 Coleman Canada Catalogue
    the then current replacement burner for the 220 & 228 slant is part number 220A-399 and is listed as "Burner generator and valve complete".
    Apparently 220/228 slant burners were not longer available as soon as 1934 and the 220A-339 (a 220A burner and valve) was used as service replacement to repair 220/228's with busted burner assy's. And this can be confirmed that it was done as we have had several 220's turn up that have had the 220A's burner assy with founts dated during regular 220 slant production.

Now the above 427 was much much harder to confirm.
    And it required me to to read nearly the whole 1934 Coleman Canada Parts Catalogue to confirm it's existence.

I have been calling these lanterns a 220A/427 but should probably be called a 427/217 since it sits on a 217-165 fount. Coleman Canada never gave this 427 variation an individual model number but it is unique enough that it needs to be separated form other run of the mill L427/ 427/427K's

Now these 427's do not use the 220A/228A fuel valve but needed a new fuel valve as the QL/327 type burner assy screws directly on to the fuel valve like all other 427's and is a 1/2 27 TPI strait thread and the generator screws directly in to the fuel valve.
    You could not modify a QL type fuel to sit on a 217 fount. as the bottom threads on a QL fuel valve are only 1/8" male NPT way too small to be cut to a 1/2" 27TPI thread.

The 427/217 fuel valve has the same 1/2"27 tpi straight threads on the bottom that seal to the pick up tubes collar as on the 220/228 and 220A/228A. The top threads are also a straight 1/2 27 tpi to accept the burner.

The part number for this fuel valve is Part # 206-657 and is listed as
    Fuel valve complete (for 217 fount) the lantern application listed is L427

This description is listed on the bottom of page 65 of the 1934 Coleman Canada Parts Catalogue.

Thse lanterns also use a Unique fuel pick up tube.
    It uses the 220,8/220,8A pick up tube collar. but instead of a fuel air tube it is straight pick up tube. I have not yet been able to idtify a part number for this pick up tube.

Also in the 1934 catalogue when we look up the 217-165 fount it is listed as being used for the 220,228,L427. (Page 67) again confirming the L427 had sat on the Slants 217 fount.

So there is no doubt what so ever that this is an actual model as made by Coleman Canada.

Several 220A's have turned up and this is the second 427/217 to turn up.

Yes these look like cobbled together lanterns and in a manner of speaking they are but were done so at the factory.

The big question is not weather these lanterns are genuine. (cause they are) but what happened with the production of 220/228 burner assy's that forced Coleman Canada
    to resort to such measures. And why did they fit a 217 fount to the 427 the requiering the forced fabrication of a fuel valve unique to this variation of the 427?

I belie the 220A 228A (That no examples have thus far turned up)
    were a stop gap lantern till the 220B arrived. I Imagine they only made for a yoear or 2 at best (1930 /1931 ) the latest of these

We likly will NEVER NEVER see a catalogue advertisement for these lanterns.
    Just like we have never seen a catalogue advertisement for the 321 Quick Lites But we know they existed as we have examples labeled as such and sport unique part's and part numbers o the lanterns

Then there is the 245 (Canadian Kero 200) we have catalogue pictorial advertisements of this lantern. (1952 Coleman Parts Catalogue)
    So does this mean it existed? by saying it was pictured says it does.
    So far NO examples of the 245 have turned up. So was it even made? or was it planned and never put in to production?

Relying on Catalogue pictorial advertisements to confirm the existence of lanterns when other supporting evidence such as actual examples and catalogue parts listings for said examples is more than proof enough they existed.
    Especially when we are dealing with stop gap lanterns that were produced during the Great Depression where every dollar spent was counted twice.

We are dealing with very short run stop gap appliances that likely were never intended to be long term items. Why spend the cost to engrave up printing plates for an item that is a stop gap measure during those economic times? And remember at the time the US had over 12 times the population to market too.

Coleman Canada ran on shoe string budget compared to the US, and saved a buck where ever they could. We have more examples of this than we can shake a stick at.

Coleman Canada also has a history of building stop gap appliances, these lanterns are not a one off examples of this happening.
    The 500A Canuck stove. (Another stop gap combination of parts)
    The 321 Quick Lites. (Of which there are 2 variations)
    Combo 530 stoves utilizing U.S and Canuck parts.
    Part mismatched 220F and 220E lanterns.
    There are piles of examples of Coleman Canada doing this kind of stuff.

We as group have to remember Coleman Canada was an independent Limited Company charted in Canada that was licensed to use Coleman USA designs.
    They did their own design work cast their own parts and independently marketed their products. The were not just a clone of Coleman USA.

We can make NO assumptions about any thing that came from Coleman Canada as they marched to their own drummer, and did things way different than Coleman USA.

Regardless we have more than overwhelming evidence of the existence of these lanterns. simple as that.
    The proof is in print and in actual examples, until some one can come up with refuting evevidance that can debunk what was printed and what has been found in actual examples the 220A/228A and the above 427/217 have been identified and confirmed as actual Coleman Canada production lanterns.

Matthew

14. karli

karli Subscriber

Thank you Matthew,

now I know more

15. Matthewq4b

I can not post a picture of page 12 of the Coleman Canada 1934 Parts Catalogue.
    As i can not compress it down small enough and have still be legible
    And I can not link from PB. So if any one wants copy of it just email me.

The top of page 12 says

Parts list for
    Coleman Insta-Lite Lanterns Models 220,288,220A and 228A

There is no doubt that the 220A and the yet to be found 228A were made.

No picture is provided of the 220 or 228 either on page 12.
    It seems that Coleman Canada never had an engraving made up for the printers for the 220 or 228 either.

Matthew

16. David Shouksmith

Well, Matthew, that was, by miles, the best first-post I've ever seen! 8) Just too much detail for my poor brain to take in at once - I'll have to go and lie down for a while before I try to absorb the next bit! :lol:

Thanks also, Kenny, for your images. I've never seen the slant generator arrangement close-up so I hadn't realised or remembered the position of the control valve. That explains why the collar has such a large hole in it and also why the top and bottom edges appeared to be 'pushed back' in your images and those shown in Ernie's link.

So far, so good, but here's what may, or may not, be the kicker - the collar isn't pushed back on my lantern and never appears to have been so:-

1295688130-QuickLite_collar.jpg

Neither does the base-plate have the rectangular slot where the valve block formerly sat if this was a conversion. I'll leave you all with those two things to ponder, whilst I try to get an image of the imprint on the fount...

17. Matthewq4b

Your lantern is a proper built 427/217. Everything above the fuel valve/collar on the 427/217 lanterns were standard 427 parts.

They had no reason to use the 220/228' part number 217-498 Frame as there was no tip cleaning stem to accsess. So why use it? As it was a more costly item to produce. Just use the 427's standard PT number 203-498 frame.

The 217 fount with these valves made the valve stems end up at much higer height than in a regular Coleman fount where the fuel valve threads in to the Fount. This nsessitaed the use of a 220/228 height collar.

Coleman Canada instead of making a new base rest/collar for these lantenrs just used the 220/228 collar but did not die form the top bar above the valve as there was no need to.
    Another cost saving measure.

If you look at the top bar of the collar above the fuel valve you will see it is not cut strait it cut to bow downward. This was cut this way so when the collers top bar was formed to clear the 220/228 fuel valve knob it would sit tight to the base plate of the frame. Since there was no need to die form the top bar on the 220A/228A or 427/217 to clear the control knob it was not done.

That collar and frame is correct for your 427/217 and it is as it was built by Coleman Canada.

The conversion kits were made for the 220/228 Slant Lanterns ONLY.

As it was just a fuel valve & burner change to convert the 220'228 slant's burners to the 220A/228A configuration.

This conversion was not ever done for the L427 nor was there a need to as the 427's burner parts were used on production items till the late 1940's.

This conversion was done for the 220/228 slant because their burner parts were obsolete/ unavalible shortly after production of them stopped. And the dealers needed something to fix these lanterns if they broke, otherwise they would be junk with no new parts avalible. And you would have buch of upset consumers.

Coleman Canada catered to a much more thrifty economically conservative market base than Coleman U.S.A did. And that even shows today with our very conservative banking system. (that avoided the global banking melt down)

Canadian farmers were/are notorisly thrify,
    (One of the largest purchasers of Coleman Canada items for many years) And even to day it is not uncommon to see some of them using farming equipment built in the 1950's & 1960's.

In addtion in the province of Saskatewan there were parts that were not electrified till the 1970's. In the province of Alberta it was not till 1968 before the whole province had electrical service.

Coleman Canada catered to a much much different market base than Coleman USA ever didand tha tis not counting the exports to Commonwealth and other nations.
    Canada was still a frontier nation in many parts till the late 1960's. And Coleman appliances were not just recreational only itmes but as daliy living tools in to the the 1970's and later.

Some northern communities did not get Electricity till the early 1980's and some remote Indian reserves still do not have Electricty to this day.
    The Cardinal Reserve in Central Alberta that sits in the foot hills of the rockies has no electrical service even now in 2011.

I was the collector that aquired the first 427/217 known and documented and researched the exsistance of both the 220A/228A and the 427/217 lanterns.

There is no question about the lineage or the authenticty of these Lanterns.

I have been collecting for over ten years now and my only concentration for the past 8 years has been Domestic (Canada) Coleman Canada lanterns. I have not restored that many items but my time in the hobby has been spent researching Coleman Canadian Domestically sold lanterns, their production periords the models, and their variations.

Coleman Canada is far far far more complicated to understand and follow than Coleman USA.
    The Canadian Factory it seems would do what ever they could to save a buck use up left over parts and extend production periods of appliances.

Between 1970 and 1979 Coleman Canada made no less than 14 different models of lanterns with variations in each model for domestic consumption. All done looking for ways to save money.
    And that was just from 1970 to 1979. Coleman Canada was building stuff in to 1970 that the U.S had stopped production on in the 1950's

In 1970 the two companies really diverged from each other and Coleman Cananda never built the same model lanterns as the US ever again until the plant shut down in 1989/1990 (a victim of the Free trade Act between the U.S and Cananda) Almost all the shipping records, archived records and most all the other paper work from the Coleman Canada factory went in the garbage. Leaving the collecting community with a massive balckhole to be filled in by examples and the little remaining paper work that is mostly parts catalogs and dealer bulletins.

Coleman Canada was ALWAYS looking for ways to cut costs with out sacraficeing quality. The building of the 330 series(335,335P,339,321,331,325)lanterns is prime example of this. Even the patent drawings for these lanters list lower manufactring cost as one of the main reasons for the design of it's stamped steel burner frame.

Your 427 is 100% totally authentic and correct and is one of but 2 known examples.
    Making it extremly rare and quite valuable.

Matthew

18. David Shouksmith

Many thanks, Matthew!

A few more images for reference:-

1295698134-Coleman_baseplate.jpg 1295698155-Coleman_tank_logo.jpg 1295698184-Coleman_logo.jpg

As can be seen, the lantern tank has been cleaned very unsympathetically by the eBay seller - I presume he used some sort of buffing mop attached to a bench grinder and some of the nickel has been removed. :evil: One day, I'll get round to cleaning this one and having it running. At the moment the NRV is stuck open (although the tank pressures up) and opening the control valve doesn't result in any fuel flowing...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  19. Mackburner

I must be getting old. OK I am convinced. I have had a copy of that 1934 parts catalogue for a while and never noticed that it gave the evidence for 220/228A. Not illustrating the lamps is not really a problem as the parts lists give the model numbers and that is proof enough the lanterns were made. Coleman would not list parts and give model numbers for a lamp that did not exist.

What I need now and so do most collectors is a simple two line description to enable identification of the 220A and distinguish it from 220B. Not sure I am reading the parts right but is it essentially a 220 with that wide mouth collar but with upright valve and burner assembly the same style as the 220B? ::Neil::

20. Mackburner

OK here is page 12 of the Col Canada 1934 parts catalogue. ::Neil::
    1295699735-Col_Can-1934-220-228A_parts.jpg

21. Matthewq4b

Well to describe it Neil I would say it sits on the 220/228 Slant fount. Has an unformed 220/228 slant coller and a 118B lamp cleaning lever.

The L427-217 would tbe the same sits on slant 220 Fount and has an unformed 220' slant coller with standard 427 burner and frame.

Both of the 427/217 fount dates are in 1930 mine was dated 3 30.

Not sure how you wanna describe the 427/217 as Coleman Canada just called it an L427 but it is different enough that it needs a separate model indentifier to separate it from regular L427's. Unless you want to add additionl lines on the L427 description to cover this variant.

We also have to remember that are 220 slant conversions sporting the 220A burner assy. The last recorded date Terry has for a Canuck 220 Slant is 11/29. So I suspect anything with a fount dated sooner is a 220 slant that has the burner replaced with the 220A service replacement.
    And there have been several 220A type lanterns turn up dated for when the 220 Slant was in production.

Regards Matthew

22. David Shouksmith

When are we going to get to see some images of your lantern, Matthew... 8)

23. Mackburner

Matthew. Thats better. I can't go into great detail in the PLC and give minor variations of parts such as changes in valve construction and the like. Mostly a model change is mor obvious anyway and how you describe a 220A is good.

I think this 427/217 needs a seperate line. It is a distinct model and whatever Col Canada called it I need to distinguish it. I can state in the line that Canada just called it 427 though.

Cool stuff and it is not often I get to add a couple of new Coleman lamps to the list. Last ones were the 238A 239A and 240 around a year ago. ::Neil::

24. USDAN57

USDAN57 R.I.P.

Neil did you just say Cool?

25. Mackburner

Sure did. In fact super Koooool. Two more lanterns added to the list of Coleman product in one day is a rare occurance these days. You have to know that Coleman is the best documented lamp company and nearly everything is listed somewhere in the paper we have. We owe a huge debt to Herb for gathering his archive of old paper and there is not much he missed. However Herb was not there in those early years so his knowledge was in the paper he held and shared with anyone who asked. He gave the Guild a copy of everything he had and I have one set of that pile here. What he was short of was info from Canada and it is there that most of these surprises come from. I rely heavily on the Canadians for info on Canadian models and Canadian variations of US designs. We are getting there though. There may well be other additions yet but I don't expect many now. ::Neil::

26. David Shouksmith

To me, this just shows the power of the internet and how it's enriched our lives - this kind of intercontinental co-operation couldn't (or wouldn't, perhaps) have happened 15 years ago, certainly not at the same speed.

Some might argue that the classification of a couple of obsolete lanterns is neither here nor there; they may be correct but this won't be an isolated incident - I imagine it happens all day, every day - and frequently with things of far greater importance.

That's wot I thinks, anyway... :whistle:

27. Matthewq4b

Hi David

Both of my of these Lanterns are pictured on Terry Marsh's Web Site.

http://terrence.marsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/lantern/colelantpre31.htm

Right at the bottom of the above page.

Neil I'm not sure if you have added the 321 Quick-Lites to the list or not.
    My 321 Quick Lite is also pictured on Terry's site.

http://terrence.marsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/lantern/colelant6180.htm

It is about the 23rd picture down.

These are the basic 321 lanterns but were the earliest production version's of them .
    The first variation of the 321 Qucik Lites were green in colour with an aluminium collar with blue print. The next variation of the 321 Qucik-lite were blue with the aluminium collar with blue print. An actual example of this lantern has not yet turned up but is pictured in colour on the earliest 321 Easi-Lite boxes.

The 321 Quick-Lites were very very short lived (a few months at most) Coleman Canada Called them Deluxe Quick Lites then changed their name to the Deluxe Easi-Lite and then on later models to just Easi Lite, and were then called that till the end of their production.

Unfortunately we have almost no paper work from the Canadian Coleman
    Factory so it has made documenting the Canadian stuffs very difficult.

I'm sure we are going to turn up more unknown and undocumented Coleman Canada lanterns and variations of that I'm sure.
    The 621C is another lantern model we have yet to see an example of I have a collar form one with the model number stamped on it so they were made. But no known examples have turned up.
    The fore mentioned 245 is another with no known examples and I wonder if it was even built, we have advertisements but no examples. Was it possibly an export only model ? We have no idea.

Coleman Canada was unique in the fact that they had no issues experimenting and cobbling together stuffs from different models of appliances to create unique items.
    The 220A/228A the 427/217 the Canadian 500A stoves and 247 CPR are the best examples of this occurring.
    But there are others as well.
    Things like the red painted nickel plated founts on the Red 220E's They obviously used nickel plated founts destined for 236/237 production but then painted them red and affixed them to the 220E's. Why was this done?
    We have early production red 220F's turn up a model that was green in colour. The most obvious answer is the Toronto Factory was using up left over Red 220E Vents on 220F's after the 220E was superseded by the 220F.

So who knows what we may yet find. I'm sure there are some items that we will never pick out from the Frankenstein's. As they will be a combination of parts from different models but are things that could have been built by any one, and we will never be able to positively identify them as a factory item.

Coleman Canada was also unique in the fact that it was possibly (Neil would know better) the only Manufacture who on a large scale globally sold different models specific to that regions market .

Coleman Canada more so than any other manufacture will need to be a global effort to identify all the products they produced. They had many models that were export only and never sold here in Canada. "This kind of intercontinental co-operation" is an absolute must for trying to identify all of Coleman Canada's Lanterns and Lamps.

And unlike other manufactures we have to try to not automatically write stuff off as a home brew creation but have to keep and open mind and try to figure out if there was any practical reason for the Toronto factory to build said item when multiples of said item turn up. Cause it seems that the Toronto factory was quite willing to mix and match parts when they had a need to do so.

Matthew

28. Mackburner

Matthew. Yes Coleman Canada is a big problem area for me. We do know they made stuff that never saw Wichita and some that only got a very bief view of Canada before being shipped out. 246s for example which were just a 242 but for export. A lot of stuff marked as Made in England was most probably Canadian made as well. As you say I am sure there will be more. I really should go back and study my lists again but this subject is so complex I have to be well motivated to even start and have a few days to spare. Rare occurances both. I will bung you an updated PLC for you to criticise and correct. Do I got your email address? Better pm me and make sure I do please. ::Neil::

29. dmacp

I think I inherited lantern #2 recently. dated March 1930.
    IMG_0890R.jpg
    Dan MacPherson

30. dmacp

My lantern in the previous post came from Dan B. who is a fellow ICCC member, the original fount ("blessed") was dated 11-29.
    here is a snap of it as Dan owned it.
    Dan MacPherson
    427 217dR.jpg