1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

930 Questions :-)

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Michael Brønniche, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Michael Brønniche

Michael Brønniche Denmark Subscriber

Hello.

I am new to this forum, but have some questions regarding the Optimus 930, 300 cp version.
    "Vintage" kerosene, is somewhat hard to come by in small amounts, so I tested my lamp with plain supermarket "lamp oil" and it lights up just fine, but after a short time, the mixingtube begins to glow, the light dulls a little and dark spots begins to emerge on the mantle, as well as flames on the outside. The pressure seems fine, though I have no way to test it, other than the release valve gives proof of healthy pressure in the tank, after I extinguish the light. The cleaning needle in the nozzle, works just fine.
    I have read about the so called Optimus problem, that is similar to mine, and there is a lot of hocus pocus and snake oil advices around, that confuses me a little.

1) If I take the lamp apart, will I need new washers or other stuff ?
    2)How do I proceed, troubleshooting the lamp, do I need to change parts until the problem dissapears, or is there a way to find out exactly what parts ?
    3) Is plain old kerosine the best fuel ?
    Any advice, as to nozzle and mantlesizes other than standard is welcome.
    Other ideas and advices are also wary welcome.
    Cheers from Michael. Copenhagen.

2. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 South Africa Subscriber

Somerset West, near Cape Town, South Africa
    Welcome. Mchael,
    A photo of the burner parts showing the mantle will help us to help you. If the mixing tube is glowing, it means that you have combustion of the gases in there rather than in the mantle after the nozzle. Sometimes this is caused by a too small mantle with flame burning outside the mantle which overheats the mixing tube.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

4. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Denmark Founder Member

Welcome to the forum Michael.

I can see you have written your location as Copenhagen. It might be an idea to get in touch and I can probably help you with the lamp. Just click on my name and then "Start a conversation". The kerosene that I have found the best is Heatmax Gold from Harald Nyborg.

5. annfield

annfield Sweden Subscriber

Hej Michael,
    The 930 is a fine and bright lantern once you get it running.
    First of all, lamp oil used for indoor wick lamps is not the best fuel for your lantern.
    I have used this fuel from Biltema with good results on my 930:s but there are wise Danes on this forum that can provide you with good fuel alternatives in Denmark.
    However It sounds like your lantern is not able to maintain the correct temperature needed to vaporize
    kerosene.

1. Not necessarily since you already can pressurize and light your lantern.
    However it is good practice to at least change the fuel cap washer since a dry washer can result in the tank loosing its pressure prematurely.

2a. Verify that your lantern is equipped with a 200 or even better 250CP jet (where the pricker needle emerges) and a corresponding mantle.

2b. If you have access to another 930 try to switch out the inner top including the U-shaped mixing tube and white porcelain nozzle.

2c. Clean out the U-shaped mixing tube from old carbon using a bike gear wire and a electric screwdriver.

2d. The glowing mixing tube can be a symtom of the kerosene passing through the mixing tube tube in an incorrect angle.
    Several people on the swedish lamp forum have been able to correct this by adjusting the U-shape of the mixing tube.

2e. Clean out the vaporizer and preston loop.

2f. If the steps above does not resolve your problem, you might have a problem with too little air in the gas/air mixture. Try running the lantern without the outer top and carefully blow into the mixing tube hole (where the jet and U-shaped mixing tube meets.)
    Will this stop the flame outside the mantle?

2g. Replace jet and other consumables.

3. Yes

Hilsen,
    Daniel

6. Michael Brønniche

Michael Brønniche Denmark Subscriber

Thank you all. Great help from a great forum. I will try to verify the jet size later, plus the cleaning issues. It is fitted with a 300 cp mantle. Earlier i tried a 400/600 cp mantle, with the same result. A lot if parts are beeing sold on the sweedish Tradera site. Unfortunately, most of the auctions are unavailable outside sweden, so i buy mantles from ebay, also there is a special lampshop in cph, that has mantles and mabe also spares. I noticed a swedish site, who also has a lot of parts. I will upload pictures of my lamp later. Cheers and thanks