A couple of questions re an old friend

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by rayw, Oct 25, 2020.

1. rayw

rayw United Kingdom Subscriber

Here is a lamp I used for camping in the 1970s not sure where it came from, but it was pretty tatty then, I gave it a coat of household black paint and put some silver oxide paint on the frame and hood.
    I was tempted to leave it that way to remind me of those happy days, but I thought after years of good service it deserves a bit of a tidy up.
    Hood was Brown originally but I found a tidy black one and painted the frame with brake caliper paint, (not finished yet)
    No idea of the date and it's not stamped 20201025_140415.jpg But here are a couple of things I noticed
    1 the pump knob is black plastic, never gave this a thought before should it be on this lamp?

20201025_140436.jpg
    2 the burner has a taller dome than most others I have seen, with screw type air tubes is this a wrong one? It always burned nice and bright.

The restoration is being done to preserve it for use on summer evenings, so this may not be one for the purists, but nice to tidy up an friend, and hopefully keep it in service.

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Your lantern is from early 1950's and it is all period correct, Guardsman lanterns often turn up with that black plastic knob on the pump.

3. rayw

Thanks for that Jeff
    That's good to know, this will never be a top collectors item, but nice to think it's pretty much as it should be (except the hood) I am going to leave it a couple of weeks before lighting it to be sure the paint has hardened.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Those are well built and reliable lanterns and they work well when they are properly maintained, the glass which is in your lantern is a later one. but it's fine.

I would reset the control cock, in my opinion, that outer ring which the control cock screws into, should be screwed further into the tank orifice.

5. rayw

I'll check that out, I intend to re coat the cage one more time, and to paint the tube nuts on the bottom of the frame with gold enamel, so I'll do it then, glass must have been replaced before my time, seems to a pity than no one makes the brown enamel hoods for these old ones.

6. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

It is what it is - a good working lamp. With a story. Nothing wrong with that. Orphaned brown hoods do turn up from time to time in need of a purpose :)