A question of paint

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by rayw, Oct 19, 2020.

1. rayw

rayw United Kingdom Subscriber

I'm pressing on with my next project, which is an old friend I used for cramping in the 1970s before I even knew people collect lamps.
    It's an old Tilley which was originally gold but very tatty, I painted it with black household paint and al oxide on the rusty perforated top.
    I stripped it rubbed it down and primed it with halfords enamel primer.
    Then after searching on here I bought some plasticote brass coloured paint.
    It looks ok but a bit bright, and when I rub my finger on it the finger goes a bit golden,.
    Has anyone used automotive lacquer on top of the plasticote?
    I am wondering if that would be a better finish for a working lamp, and if it would stick to the gold paint.

2. R100

R100 United Kingdom Subscriber

I have used Monofil Premium Satin Lacquer over Rustoleum paint. The Rustoleum dissolves instantly with methylated spirit or paraffin but four coats of Monofil prevents that entirely. It is an acrylic base so should be safe over most paint types. Monofil also produce a gloss lacquer.

3. rayw

Lucky you told me that, I was going to rub it down with meths on cloth to decrease before any coating.

4. MYN

Automotive clear coat? It'd be pretty fuel resistant. What I meant here is the two-component types(the one that uses a hardener for curing).
    The solvents it contains must be compatible with the Plasticote brass paint. Otherwise, the brass paint would be dissolved and you'd get mess.

5. rayw

One of my concerns was the surface of the plasticote, it seems to be quite soft, a rub with a clean rag and the rag has gold on it.
    It's only a few days since I painted it so maybe a week in the conservatory will help.

6. malcolm race

malcolm race United Kingdom Subscriber

I always use Hicote auto paint in rattle cans, being auto paint it’s fuel resistant anyway, but then finish off with their clear lacquer. I get mine from the Range if this helps

7. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

I do the same as @malcolm race. The only difference is the paint’s brand name.
    I have always had good results that is as fuel resistant as I’m likely to get.
    Cheers
    Pete

8. rayw

Thanks for your replies, since I used the plasticote paint, I have tried halfords enamel spray, (in a different colour) it has nice shiny surface which seems to be quite strong, I may try the satin finish lacquer on top to see how it looks.
    They also do gold in the enamel range so I want to see how that looks when dry.

9. rayw

OK, dont know if this helps but here are my results
    20201023_160758.jpg
    Used halfords enamel primer in gray, then plasticote brass.i was worried that this was too brassy and bright.
    So
    20201023_195918.jpg
    Gave it a few coats of plasticote acrylic satin lacquer, and I'm much happier, leave it for a few days to harden up, and see how it looks.

10. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Nice job :thumbup:

Did you find that the lacquer gave the finish more 'depth' ?

11. rayw

Yes it does, I was quite surprised how much it changed the appearance, it's darker and not so brassy it feels much better. Time will tell how resilient it is but for now I'm pleased.
    I actually thought of stripping it again and doing it with Halfords gold enamel spray, but going to give this a fair try.

12. MYN

Looks pretty nice. Does it now appear more like the Tilley gold you had in mind earlier?

13. rayw

Yes it is much more what I had in mind, I've seen a few tilleys but of course I'm mindful that I probably don't know what a new gold one did look like.
    The only question now is how tough is the finish, I intend to use this lamp and hope it can withstand some normal use.