A tale of two lamps

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Scott D, Nov 13, 2022.

1. Scott D

Scott D United Kingdom Subscriber

A6F85D52-D748-4401-8173-8BC50C99DC49.jpeg

Spent the afternoon in the workshop first cleaning up a recently found plated 246b, a new set of seals and away she goes and burnt well for a couple of hours. The second part of the afternoon was on the servicing of two Coleman 295 Dual Fuel lanterns as a good turn for my son’s scout troop. It has taken me ages to motivate myself to get started as these are about 75 years newer than my preferred models. Cross threaded plastic pickup, ptfe blockage, hard to replace fuel cap seal and recessed o rings resulting in a dental pick embedded in my index finger. I’m not loving these 295’s. I also can’t see any seal kits for these in the usual places. I made a cap washer but need the valve shaft o rings. They seem to be 4mm ID x 2mm c/s. Hope so, that’s what I’ve ordered. Don’t think I’ll be adding a 295 to my collection, but the Tilley can stay!

2. MYN

The Tilley 246B is working well.
    Is that a Coleman 295 or a 285? I thought 295 Dual Fuels have the addition of the word 'Powerhouse'.
    Anyway, my Coleman 285 Dual Fuel is still unused in the box. Mine still has the metal pump tube cap instead of plastic. I bought it only because I was thinking that the odds were high that Coleman would completely discontinue their liquid-fueled lantern production. Maybe they already have, I'm not too sure. These might even be among the last of the Coleman liquid-fueled lanterns. Therefore, despite the fact that I'm not exactly a fan of Coleman's recent line of liquid-fueled lanterns, I actually bought a 639C a week after I got the 285. That too, remains unused in the box.

I hope you did not just sealed the fate of the Coleman in the picture. The 246Bs were the last of the Tilleys. Not the Coleman too?:lol:

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

I also prefer the older Coleman lanterns etc..
    The Tilley is doing the job.:thumbup:

4. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

I have restored a few of the slightly smaller versions: Fuel cap seals available from Fettlebox. Graphite seals from base-camp. Don't lose/break the fuel pickup as hard to find. Does the 295 use schrader valves ?

5. Scott D

Scott D United Kingdom Subscriber

Yes, it is a 285, my mistake. It is interesting to work on something different and everything has it’s place. These lanterns have served the scouts well for years and it’s just great the kids have that experience.

I also have a 1974 639 @MYN it’s one of my brightest lanterns and I do like the styling.

The 4mm x 2mm o-rings didn’t fit so I have some 4mm x 1.5mm on the way.

6. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

7. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Hi Jeremy, it's nice to see you back.

8. X246A

9. MYN

Hi Jeremy, nice to hear you're back.
    Those 295s accordingly, are adjustable in output/brightness.
    How would they be if there're no schraders?

10. X246A

@MYN

Good point! As I said, it’s been a while! :oops: And just to prove how bad my memory has become, here is a post I made on CCFa couple of years ago:

2EE7C173-F70F-47B4-A2A1-49AB3AF7748B.jpeg

The tip of the Schrader valve can be seen at the end of the fuel pick up tube.

Regards, Jeremy

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  11. MYN

My memory isn't too different from yours, Jeremy.
    I've not taken apart my 285 but having a peek at the parts list does hint that there's a Schrader somewhere inside.
    Those who are used to the old school Coleman shut off valves might find the Schraders a little fiddly. These ain't very classic and there's an o-ring inside that too.
    I'm not exactly a fan of them but the invention is undoubtedly, ingenious.