Advice on picture sizes, please?

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback & Problems' started by Ian Roll, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Ian Roll

Ian Roll United Kingdom Subscriber

I couldn't see the answer anywhere, so I thought I'd ask..

From habit (and, usually, necessity!) I generally add a picture to my posts - they tell the story, after all..
    But what size in pixels is recommended please?

I can imagine that the mods would get over-excited with folks posting lots of 4000 x 3000 pixel pictures about the place with gay abandon, but at the other limit 200 x 200 pixels is a little hard to make out the detail...

where does the happy medium lie, please?

TIA

Ian

2. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

You can upload pretty large pictures/files here, so I wouldn't worry about that.
    The system takes care of too large pictures, and will scale them down to a decent size 'pixel wise', so I say post as large as you can.
    We prefer the best images possible, which generally means large size/scale.
    If it still happens to be too large, you will get an alert when uploading.

And don't bother too much about the pixel ratio. That is not the issue here. Our system will take care of that.
    What's important is to keep the file size down to a decent level, otherwise you might be rejected, but again: you will see when this happens.
    And it will hardly be a problem if you just use a phone or tablet for your photos, which seems to be the standard nowadays...:roll:
    But if you actually do use a real camera, and as such perhaps even a DSLR, you might get a too large file size. Then you might be forced to re-size them before uploading.

I doubt you will see any problems.
    Make a few tests in our Practice Forum first, and you will know for sure before you "go live".

3. Ian Roll

Ian Roll United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks for the info

Bregards

Ian

4. Alex Smith

Alex Smith United Kingdom Subscriber

Ian, my method for pictures is to take picture as normal (either mobile phone or DSLR). I then email/upload them to my PC and use Snagit to take a screen shot of the image. I save the screen shot to a folder (as a .JPG) then upload this image. It sounds convoluted, but works well in term of getting images to the site. I am sure there are other methods!

5. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

I just use the pictureS snapped from my iPad and/or iPhone without any resizing. They are generally good quality and I never had an issue with them.
    I do most of my postS from an iPad and upload them directly into the post from my iPad picture library.

Cheers
    Pete

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Since this new version of CPL has been operating I’ve had no trouble directly uploading large JPG or JPEG files from my iPhone or digital camera.

No re-sizing has been necessary.

Tony

7. george

george United States Subscriber

I use my phone. Anything else and I'm lost...