AGM 100 Lantern

Discussion in 'AGM - American Gas Machine' started by Norman, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hi there,

Recently I acquired 2 AGM 100 lanterns. One had a blown fuel tank but it also had some very good parts.
    I had to use both to make up one that would run.
    DSC08859.JPG

The AGM 100 has a pump similar to a Tilley severing as a filler cap and pump. I had to replace the leather pump cup and rebuild the NRV. The pip for this NRV is 5.5 mm so I had to improvise but it works quite well.

There was a lot of dried fuel in the good tank so I partially filled the tank with Acetone which did the job.

The generator/vaporizer is very interesting because it is gear operated. The pricker was broken off on both rods but I did find another geared pricker rod with intact pricker. The new geared pricker wasn't the right setup so I removed the geared setup and adapted the new rod with pricker to the original gear. With this new setup the pricker now works as it should.

The glass was missing but the glass for the Coleman 200 works quite well.

Before I put it all back together I wanted to give it a try and it has a very pretty blue flame.
    DSC08854.JPG

After this success I reassembled the lantern. The top is in fair condition for it's age. This lanterns runs pretty good and it's quite bright.
    DSC08858.JPG DSC08860.JPG DSC08861.JPG DSC08862.JPG DSC08863.JPG DSC08864.JPG DSC08865.JPG DSC08866.JPG DSC08867.JPG DSC08868.JPG DSC08869.JPG DSC08870.JPG

This is a success and a failure. The lantern runs very well but I have an air leak somewhere and for the life of me I can't figure it out.
    So I have some questions because there are those on this site that are far more knowledgeable then I am.
    I'm kinda wondering if the preheater side of this lantern is stuck in the open position. Granted all I'm doing right now is speculating. I'm hoping someone will come up with a better suggestion.
    I will be removing the control valve assembly and will let is sit in some Acetone for a while and hopefully this will take care of the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Norman

2. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Nice!

3. MYN

Why would you think it has an air leak, Norman?
    I'm not an AGM expert but you might want to check the leak by immersing the pressurized fount underwater(the dunk test).
    If its not holding pressure, I'd check the NRV and pips again. Sometimes they are a little skewed or the pip's dimensions could be critical and might not seat well if they are not exact.
    Also, the seal on the pump tube/cap is another likely candidate.
    It seldom would leak air at the control valve.
    By the way, I understand that AGMs are quite notorious for stress cracks on the founts. You might want to inspect it further. Otherwise, AGM lanterns are sure aesthetically pleasing.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well fettled!:thumbup:

5. Norman

Thanks guys.

I did leak test the tank and it is sound. The NRV was a bit troublesome but I was able to get it sorted. The NRV sits in the fuel so if there was a problem there would be fuel in the pump tube and there isn't any fuel showing.

I just did a test to see if it was leaking with the control valve closed and it isn't. Yep it's still hold a good amount of pressure so when the valve is closed there is no leaks detected.

Here's where I think the problem may be.
    DSC08872.JPG DSC08871.JPG
    Of course this is the control valve assembly or I should say this is the extra one I have. The second picture shows the preheating system. If this goes bad the lantern will run lean which by the way this lantern does because of too much air. I have seen quite a few lanterns with this setup and it has been soldered closed. If I did have to solder this preheater closed then I would add a preheater cup.

I may give this extra control valve assembly a try because to be truthful it is in much better condition then the one that was already installed on the lantern.

The only time this lantern looses air pressure is when the control valve is being used so it is my theory but mostly dumb ass guessing that the problem is the preheating system but again I'm most just guessing but it seems logical.

I will update this when the problem is solved.

Thanks again for the kind compliments guys.

Cheers,
    Norman

6. ColinG

I'm sure you'll get it fixed... but that solder joint (if that's what it is) looks guilty as hell!

7. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

If you haven’t already done so, it looks like another dunking in a bucket of water zeroing in on the suspected areas to find the problem.
    Cheers
    Pete

8. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day @Norman , nice work on the fettle.
    I haven't seen one before but if I'm correct
    One turn of the valve allows vapour from the top of the font into the generator through the short tube in the last photo for starting.
    Opening the valve fully should open the feed to the liquid fuel and close off the vapour feed.

Your problem is the vapour feed isn't closing.
    Have you dismantled the valve and cleaned all the components and checked for wear?

9. Norman

Hi there guys and gals,

That is if there are any gals interested.

OK, so I tried the spare control valve assembly and what can I say except it was a waste of time. It was totally plugged and I didn't want to spend the time sorting it out. So I decided to use the original control valve assembly. I soldered the preheater side of the assembly. Once the soldering was done I needed to get rid of the excess solder. Then I used my Dremel tool with a brass wire weal to clean up the threads. Once this was done I used some anti-seize on the threads and reinstalled it onto the fuel tank.

It was time to reassemble the lantern and give it a try out. Due to rendering the preheater side inoperable I added a Coleman 201 preheater cup.

Here's the action shots. I decided to go with a slightly larger mantle and it is working well.
    DSC08873.JPG DSC08874.JPG DSC08875.JPG

This lantern has been running for 2 hours now without having to add pressure to the fuel tank.

It took two of these 100 lanterns to make one but it is now working as it should.

Thanks guys for your kind compliments.

Cheers,
    Norman

10. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

The problem is now solved!:thumbup::clap::clap::thumbup:

11. Norman

Here are some night shots.
    DSC08877.JPG DSC08878.JPG

Cheers,
    Norman

12. MYN

Congratulations. So if the fuel-air pickup tube plunger was stuck, that would be it. Now that's disabled and you need not bother about it anymore.

13. ColinG

That's another fine lantern fixed and ready to join your collection! Another excellent job!

14. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Well done @Norman. Another lamp saved.
    Cheers
    Pete