AGM lantern ID

Discussion in 'AGM - American Gas Machine' started by Keith R, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Keith R United States

Hello I found this AGM lantern for sale for $30. It appears to be a model 278, but I couldn't find a number. It's in really rough condition, but seems to be complete. There are two soldered spots on the fount. No idea if it even holds pressure, but is it reasonably priced for the basis of a restoration? Or is it too far gone? I've done some Coleman units in the past and some stoves. Is the AGM parts network sufficient or hard to come by? Is there anything else to look for to ID it? Thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2019
  2. george

george United States Subscriber

If you can down load a picture of the lantern that would.:D/

3. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@Keith R

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with George, a picture paints a thousand words.

Regards, Jeremy

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

5. Keith R United States

Sorry, I thought it worked the first time. See attached.

20190313_142640.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2019
  6. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Time will tell as to whether or not you got yourself a bargain. To start with, I'd clean all the dirt off and do a dunk test to see if there are any leaks, you may need a new seal for the pump, from memory, I think I used an appropriate sized O ring. Again from memory, there's a spring loaded rubber pip in the check valve which also may need replacing.
    The two spots of solder are probably covering stress cracks and are best checked out, after all, you don't know how skilled the person who made the repairs was. Even if the lantern doesn't leak when you pressure test it, there's no telling when the repairs will fail - not good when you're using gasoline ! If it were mine, I'd clean-off what looks to be a high lead content solder and see what's underneath, you'll probably find stress cracks but all is not necessarily lost. Drill a small, about 1mm hole at each end of the crack then use a fine disc in a rotary tool e.g. Dremel to grind out the crack about half the thickness of the metal and re-solder with a good electrical solder, after that, treat the inside of the fount to a good quality tank sealer and you should be good to go.

Oldcolemanparts may have some suitable replacement parts

Henry.

7. Keith R United States

Thanks, Henry. I've used vinegar to deal with rusty tools before, any reason a good multi-day soak would cause problems with a lantern? I'd disassemble as far as I can to see how it goes. Then heat up the old solder to remove it. I'll check oldcolemanparts. Most concerned about the generator. Anything else?

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Keith R

If you are dealing with brass, be careful using vinegar (especially undiluted) as acids will preferentially leach the zinc from the brass. Stop before it turns copper-coloured.

Cheers

Tony

9. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

AGM 278 is correct and dates 1927-1928. ::Neil::

10. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@Keith R I forgot to mention the generator. Somewhere on here, there's an informative post by one of your fellow countrymen and although it's about cleaning / refurbishing Coleman Q99's, the principle is the same and will work on your AGM generator. Unfortunately, I can't find it. Suffice to say that the method involves quite a few cycles of "heat & quench" and the use of carbon cleaner. There's a warning NOT to get the generator glowing, a dull red will suffice. Finish with a soak in carburetor cleaner and you should be good to go. Even if the cleaning needle is broken, for the sake of originality, it may be worth a shot. If all fails, a Coleman R55 will fit.

Henry.