Aida Express Record 1350 350CP

Discussion in 'Aida' started by Peter Knights, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Peter Knights United Kingdom

Anyone help me out with some info on this please?
    Found in my Stepdad's garage recently. I've cleaned it up and it holds pressure but the jet is blocked. Tips on un-blocking too.

Attached Files:

2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Welcome to CPL @Peter Knights

To clean a blocked jet I often use the heat and quench method.
    Remove the nipple from the lantern and heat it until red. Then plunge it into cold water. When you can see light through the jet use the cleaning needle to finish the job.
    Your lantern has cleaned up nicely :thumbup:

3. Peter Knights United Kingdom

Great idea, thanks.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

5. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@Peter Knights Welcome. If the jet is blocked, it's most likely that the cleaning needle is broken, even if only bent, they often break when being straightened - you may get lucky.
    Were there any spares with the lantern ? If not, you can use a Petromax needle (68/3 Cleaning needle 350cp) available here www.base-camp.co.uk/Petromax/Petromax%20Spares%20Price%20List.htm
    The needles are small and fiddly so you may find 119 Key for cleaning needle very usefull.

Have a look here for guidance, especially chapter 5. Restoration of a PETROMAX 829 Lantern

6. Peter Knights United Kingdom

Thanks Henry.
    Any idea what year it is? By the quick start shut off lever I was thinking 1962?

7. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

I can't see the lever but going by the general style of the lantern, 1960s is about right.

8. Peter Knights United Kingdom

New jet and cleaning needle installed and after a few attempts, got it to light. Works well and is really bright. Slight leak from the main tube joint but okay.
    How long should the mantle last?
    I may have bought the wrong type (or just a poor ebay one) but they shrivel and burn out really quick.

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Peter Knights

Mantles should not “shrivel” if the lantern is operating at proper pressure. If they are too small flame will develop outside the mantle. If they are too big, they will not form a good shape.

A good quality mantle can last years.

A photo might help.

Cheers

Tony

10. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

If you are worried that something will break if you try to tighten the joint any more, undo the joint and apply either a smear of either copper or nickel based high temperature grease or, a turn or two of PTFE tape.

Good information from @Tony Press, especially about the correct sized mantle and proper pressure (though I would argue about the shriveling).

What is your procedure with a new mantle ? Usual instructions are along the lines of Tie on new mantle, arrange folds evenly and cut off loose ends of string. Light mantle and allow to burn until all that remains is a white ash. At this stage, it will look shrivelled. Allow lantern to cool. Preheat and light the lantern. Then the codecil, Good pressure will ensure a well formed mantle !
    How much pressure are you applying ? Once lit, increase pressure gradually until the needle on the pressure gauge sits on the red line. Don't be afraid to use the cleaning needle, though with a newly restored lantern this may not be necessary.

11. Tony Press

@Henry Plews

Correct, Henry...

I was a bit sloppy talking about “shrivel”.

My pet hate is Coleman instaclip mantles (of which I have many for testing lamps):

75961D68-2563-46AA-9B7D-641A21401859.jpeg

Cheers

Tony

12. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@Tony Press

Perhaps I was being a little pedantic but I don't know how experienced @Peter Knights is with pressure lamps and thought a little clarification may help understand what is normal when fitting a new mantle. There's no doubt that 'proper pressure' is paramount for a well formed mantle. I could add that as well as good pressure, let the lantern burn for at least 1 hour.

The only instaclip Coleman mantles I have are concertina folded tubular ones for the Northstar lantern. As far as I know, there isn't an alternative.

In spite of good presure, I've had mantles form like the one you show on your Nulite pendant and never found out 100% whether it was a duff mantle or because there was a roughness inside the burner tube which slowed the flow of gas.

13. Tony Press

@Henry Plews

There is nothing wrong with a bit of pedantry...

These small instaclip mantles are quite prone to form a bad shape. The Coleman 21 single tie mantles seem to do a better job.

Cheers

Tony

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  14. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber