AL15

Discussion in 'AL15-AL15A-AL16-AL620' started by listertrucks, May 29, 2011.

1. listertrucks

listertrucks Subscriber

This lamp is as found condition, It seems to be a AL15 but with later glass globe to replace mica also a base has been added. Note the container attached to handle for meths/starter.Lamp plated L.T.E.
    Al 1306654732-L.T.E.1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. paul m

paul m Subscriber

That little stand on the lamp is from an AL 620...Paul

3. kl80

Still a nice lamp.

4. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Typical London Transport fettling job. Interesting to see how they kept these things running and adapted them with later parts and such. This one is not correct "as made" of course but as an example of how they were used it is great and I would certainly keep it that way. ::Neil::

5. Derek

Derek Subscriber

What a beauty! Does it smell of Tube Trains? It should do, a great many were use on the Underground by de-fluffers (insulation cleaners) and maintenance gangs during the 'current off' periods.

6. listertrucks

listertrucks Subscriber

Nice bit of background history to these lamps Derek, you've obviously got some hands on experience some where along the line. (excuse the pun)
    Here's a front&rear view of lamp.
    Al 1306946341-L.T.E.2.jpg 1306946393-L.T.E.3.jpg

7. Mackburner

That is an odd gallery. First glance it is the one used on TL120A. Made of steel with three holes Etc. However it has the slot for the peg on a two air tube burner. Not being used here because the burner is obviously a three tube type. So the slot was not cut out for use on this lamp. Also tha gallery does not have the lugs for sitting a shaee on so it is not an adapted table lamp gallery. I wonder if it was originally a two tube gallery that has had two extra holes chopped out to accomodate the three tube burner. Interesting piece and a shot of the other side of it might be good if possible. ::Neil::

8. Derek

Derek Subscriber

Never worked on the Tube, but could hear the trains beneath us if we put an ear to the floor.

I have a photographic book 'A Day In The Life of London' amongst the pages of which there is a lovely portrait of a tunnel worker with just such a lamp. Think I can find it?!!

I'll keep looking.

9. listertrucks

listertrucks Subscriber

Neil,
    I've posted image of other side of gallery and you were quite correct about it being originally a two air tube version. Well spotted
    Al 1308500917-gallery.jpg

10. Kenny Connolly

yes very intresting gallery
    but yes again Neil you where right!!! ](*,) ](*,)

kenny...

11. Mackburner

Being right more often that not is the cross I bear with humility and fortitude. Really it is not clever it's just 45 years of looking at this stuff and more importantly remembering it. ::Neil::