AL16 Railway Modified.

Discussion in 'AL15-AL15A-AL16-AL620' started by Matthew92, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

This came through the post yesterday, my most recent Ebay purchase and quite reasonably priced. This I suspect has spent its life on the railway having had various parts changed to keep it running although not a hard life judging by the condition. The hood has been swapped from an AL8 to accommodate a standard Tilley globe and burner rather than the mica shade and twin inlet burner this would have originally had. It's had a pre-heater added and I haven't checked to see if it's just the change in hood or a longer vapouriser, but there is a little bracket that's been made to raise the reflector up to the correct height. I'm not sure what the "AFBX" is that has been scratched into the paint above the label. I know these lamps sometimes have the station where they were used stamped on them or something similar but i'm not sure if that's what this is. Shame this one didn't come on it's track stand. ](*,) :lol:

1406371702-Al_16_a.jpg
    1406371789-Al_16_b.jpg
    1406371951-Al_16_c.jpg
    1406371963-Al_16_d.jpg
    1406371976-Al_16_e.jpg
    1406371990-Al_16_f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

could the X in afbx be an abbreviation for crossing ??
    kerry

3. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

It's a possibility, I also thought possibly the Roman numeral for 10 but I think they would have just put 10. Google AFBX railway doesn't bring up a lot, all I found was a reference to AFBX louvred vans and if you search AFB railway the you just finds some German automatic train operator, or Air Force Base.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's a good find! :thumbup:

5. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

The instructions on the side give two methods of pre-heating. The first is the old fashioned method using meths and the torch as normal, the other suggests removing the wicks from the torch and filling the cups with 'owlite'. Has anyone seen this version in any instructions before? It's the first time I've seen it.

6. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

New one on me, too, although I do have a small sachet of Owlite and those instructions seem the obvious way to use it.

I presume that Owlite was one of Tilley's 'brilliant ideas' that soon proved impractical and was quickly discontinued...

7. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

When you see some of these lamps with the meths jar attached to the handle, meths seems like the best option where as if you where to fill the jar with owlite, not only would you have to dig it out using the torch, you'd also have to wangle it around to put the torch back in the jar when you've lit the lamp. Only upside is that it wouldn't be quite so bad if you knocked the jar over. :oops: :lol:

8. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Any idea what Owlite may comprise of?

Powdered/granulated hexamine possibly?

Alec.

9. longilily

longilily United Kingdom Subscriber

Never heard of owlite, what is it :-k

10. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Ray, it's a preheating powder Tilley had back then.
    I guess it was meant to be easier to handle than meths, but I doubt it was.
    As you can read on the Owlite package [url=http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/344 you were supposed to remove the asbestos wick and fill the preheating clip with this powder, then go along as usual in the procedure.
    Neil also posted a larger tin with this stuff, seen [url=http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/347

11. longilily

longilily United Kingdom Subscriber

Thank you Christer :thumbup: