Aladdin 1A – Fettle

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by AussiePete, May 22, 2020.

1. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Preamble
    Some time ago, whilst travelling in South Australia, I found this Australian made Aladdin 1A.
    I found the Aladdin 1A in a junk/bric-a-brac stall in a Port Adelaide under-cover market. The asking price was AU$70 however the proprietor was kind enough to let it go for AU$50. The proprietor didn’t know the history of the lantern other than it had been for sale for a couple of months.

You will note that the lantern has been fitted with a mica chimney and by all appearances it’s original to the lantern. Perhaps at the lantern's original sale, mica was an option to glass.

IMG_1496.jpeg

The lantern was found in a filthy condition however, on a closer inspection the lantern has a green painted fount and the frame, hood and hood cap appear to be nickel or chrome plated. The mica chimney is dirty and creased but completely intact.

The Fettle
    The lantern was dismantled into its various components and cleaned. Excepting the mica chimney and fount, all parts were immersed into vinegar bath for about 1 hour, removed, rinsed and brass brushed clean. The little used Preston Loop generator was stripped and heat/quenched three times removing built up carbon deposits.

The parts were then rinsed in clean water and put into a sonic cleaner to remove any rubbish and dirt from inside of the generator, jet and other related parts.

The mica chimney was gently washed in warm soapy water, dried and the metal frame parts treated with Evapo-Rust.

All the lantern’s parts were magnetically test and the following parts were determined to be ferromagnetic, in this case steel:
    The frame and its base.
    The burner’s “J” tube holder / bracket.
    The Preston Loop generator assembly.
    The complete bail and hook assembly.
    The air pump’s shaft.

The Fount (Tank)
    To preserve the original paint, the brass fount was carefully cleaned with a hand detergent using a soft brush. The gentle cleaning exposed the original green paint work in quite good condition with just a few blemishes caused by use.

The top of the fount and showing the fuel pickup outlet with its fine mesh filter.

IMG_1500.jpeg

This mesh filter is an interference fit and was coached out using a small sowing needle. It was placed in a sonic cleaner, cleaned and reinstalled.

Paint
    The fount’s paintwork was in quite good condition and I decided to retain the original finish with no paint touch-up or repair.

NRV (Non-Return Valve)
    The sealing pip in the NRV was too hard and needed to be replaced. A new seal pip was punched out of 3mm thick Viton sheet and installed into the NRV.

IMG_1506.jpeg

Jet Pricker
    The jet’s pricker mechanism, although operational had the actual pricker wire missing. I manufactured a new pricker from 1/16” brass tube threading one end with a M2.0 die.

IMG_1280.jpeg

The new 0.006” stainless steel pricker wire was crimped into the other end using my home-made for purpose crimping block.

IMG_1551.jpeg

Pump Leather
    The original pump’s leather was very dry, however, it looked to be in good condition. I re-oiled it by soaking the leather in Neatsfoot Oil.

The various components were gathered together for final assembly.

IMG_1498.jpeg

Notes:
    The pump shaft is steel however the pump’s retaining brass ferrule is of a larger construction than those seen in the later versions of this model.
    The preheating pan is retained by 2 clips formed and bent to suit in the frame’s 1-piece base or heat shield.

Assembly
    The Aladdin’s parts were reassembled into a lantern with a suitable mantel attached.

IMG_1507.jpeg

The Money Shot
    The assembled Aladdin 1A was preheated using methylated spirits in the preheat pan and lit.
    After the methylated spirits was almost consumed, about 12 or so pumps of air were applied until the mantle was lit and glowing.
    Pumping a further 60 strokes on a near full tank of kerosene, the lit lantern settled down and ran flawlessly for over an hour.

IMG_1539.jpeg

After the hour’s teat run the lantern was turned off by slowly releasing the fount’s pressure by unscrewing the fuel filler cap. I was delighted (intended pun).

Further Information – The 3 Amigos

I have 3 Aladdin 1A lanterns that are seemingly have slightly different variantions as follows:

IMG_1548.jpeg

I believe I have the oldest version on the left moving to the latest version on the right.

The left hand lantern, older version, the differences are as follows:
    · The fount is painted green.
    · A mica chimney, this may be an option selected at purchase.
    · The frame base is pressed to shape using a single plate.
    · The pre-heater’s pan is retained by 2 clips formed, and bent to suit, from the frame’s base.
    · The pricker control wheel is thinner and appears to be a fibre composition.
    · The Preston Loop generator is constructed of steel.
    · The pump’s shaft is steel and a slightly larger diameter than the later versions pump’s shaft.
    · The pump’s retaining ferrule is a heavier brass construction as opposed to the lighter plated versions found in the later lanterns.
    · The fuel filler cap and pump knob is unplated brass.

IMG_1505.jpeg

The middle lantern, the differences are as follows:
    · The fount is plated with what appears to be chrome.
    · A Pyrex glass chimney, this may be standard on all versions.
    · The frame base is 2-piece consisting of a pressed frame base plate with a shaped insert fitting into a recess in the larger frame base.
    · The pre-heater’s pan has a hexagonal hole that snuggly fits the generator’s retaining nut.
    · The pricker control wheel is thicker and appears to be a reddish Bakelite composition.
    · The Preston Loop generator is constructed entirely of brass.
    · The pump’s shaft is brass.
    · The pump’s knob is construct of brass and plated.
    · The pump’s retaining ferrule is the plated lighter version found on the later lanterns.

The right hand lantern, seemingly the latest version, the differences are as follows:
    · The fount is plated with what appears to be chrome.
    · A Pyrex glass chimney, this may be standard on all versions.
    · The frame base is 2-piece consisting of a pressed frame base plate with a shaped insert fitting into a recess in the larger frame base.
    · The pre-heater’s pan has a hexagonal hole that snuggly fits the generator’s retaining nut.
    · The pricker control wheel is thicker and appears to be a reddish Bakelite composition.
    · The Preston Loop generator is constructed entirely of brass.
    · The pump’s shaft is steel.
    · The pump’s knob is construct from a black Bakelite material.
    · The bail has been remodelled without the hanging hook.
    · The NRV is now configured for a screwdriver removal and not the usual socket type removal. The head of the NRV is aluminium and not brass.

IMG_1515 2.jpeg

Summary
    In this fettled Aladdin 1A all the original parts, excepting the seals and pricker, were reused, including the generator’s jet.

The fettled Aladdin 1A lit and ran flawlessly with an almost imperceptible hiss for its 1-hour test.
    I had a lot of satisfaction resurrecting and seeing this old performer strutting its stuff again.

Thank you for looking.

Cheers
    Pete

Attached Files:

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Excellent! That’s a very fine job. :thumbup:

Your lantern has some interesting features. I’ve not seen that pump retaining ferrule before; I have seen mica chimneys on the Aladdin 1A but not in as good condition as yours; and I’ll check my 1As that have that clipped pre-heater, because I think all of mine have a winged filler cap.

Nice work.

Cheers

Tony
    @AussiePete

3. AussiePete

Thanks @Tony Press
    Do you have a picture of the winged filler caps?
    Cheers
    Pete

4. Emiel

Emiel Netherlands Subscriber

Wow @AussiePete. Well fettled and well documented as always. Enjoy your new toy.

5. Tony Press

Pete

029A7BBF-07E7-41C2-B04D-49C62C65631B.jpeg

From very early Aussie Aladdin 1As.

Cheers

Tony

@AussiePete

6. kero-scene Australia

7. AussiePete

@Tony Press
    Wow, I’ve not seen these before, they must be very early.
    Thanks for the pictures.
    Pete

8. Anthony

Anthony Australia Subscriber

9. Alex Smith

Alex Smith United Kingdom Subscriber

10. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Nice work Pete. I love the fact that you're able to create prickers using your home made jigs and equipment - extremely impressive!

11. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

@AussiePete Pete, a superb fettle with your always exceptional write up. An absolute pleasure to follow and read.

12. Greenboy23

Greenboy23 United Kingdom Subscriber

Top workmanship pete, well done.

Lee

13. george

george United States Subscriber

@AussiePete
    Great job, Pete! Beautiful restoration!
    :thumbup::thumbup::clap:

14. Darryl Durdin

Darryl Durdin Australia Subscriber

@AussiePete
    Great restoration job. I like 1A Aladdins, very cool lanterns, i too have noticed the suttle differences but no exact time dates.
    Pic 1 the push rod securing nut, most are hex but i have square
    20200129_071444.jpg
    I have two with steel fonts
    20191203_085650.jpg
    This one is all brass 20190214_114547.jpg
    Ive noticed on the collars that they are no flange lip collar with 1A Aladdin stamped, then they have a smal flang then later a bigger flange.
    , brass and steel preston loops, , i have the butterfly fuel cap , either early or i got them on the steel fonts only and on one the pump cap was dome with a keyed slot for the pump rod.
    Over time i have bought a few of these lanterns but only to find the tanks have bad stress cracks and ive used the rest for parts on others.
    Some time i think i should have paid more attention to detail.
    This lantern is a steel font im working on, and now im going to find the original bits. 20200521_071610.jpg
    I have 2 with the mica globes 20200410_194905.jpg
    The lantern closest is a mica globe Aladdin.
    Ill find or get some other pic.
    Thanks for sharing

15. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well saved Pete!:thumbup::thumbup:

16. Darryl Durdin

@AussiePete
    Mica lantern as found original
    20200523_101327.jpg
    All brass fount. Has small lip on collar.the pricker knob is different thin but chunky
    20200523_101336.jpg
    All brass tank,lip collar thick control knob, butterfly cap. As found.
    20200523_101020.jpg
    No lip collar with 1A Aladdin stamped, steel tank.

17. AussiePete

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and thank you for the extra information @Darryl Durdin.
    Cheers
    Pete

18. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

From my experience with Aladdin 1A (which is not that much), I have only seen the winged filler on the steel tank version, all the others have the flat top one. Plain brass on the painted tank and nickel or chrome on the nickel or black painted tanks.

I have never seen a pump cap like that before. My guess is that it's been changed at some time.

I also have a couple with mica that looks original.

19. AussiePete

@Nils Stephenson
    The curious thing is that the pump shaft that fits the shown oddity pump cap is a slightly larger diameter than the other more usual Aladdin 1A pump shafts, and it will not fit into the usual type of cap’s hole. However, other than the diameter of the shaft, all other dimensions and threads are identical.
    Perhaps it’s a very well made replacement?
    Cheers
    Pete

20. Tony Press

@Nils Stephenson @AussiePete

One steel tank with winged fuel cap; one brass tank with winged fuel cap. Both tanks painted in green crinkle.

FC1AFC31-6024-41D4-A03C-19C4B1FFFE50.jpeg

Cheers

Tony

21. Nils Stephenson

@Tony Press
    Well I did say my experience was limited. :)

The problem with filler caps is that they can be moved from one lamp to another. Another observation is that the winged filler cap 'usually' comes together with the different type of pump cap and the crinkle paint (as shown in your picture). It is possible that this was the first variation of the 1A before it was simplified with the flat filler cap and the more normal pump style. That is only a guess though.

@AussiePete
    OK, I'm probably a bit slow here. So a 'normal' 1A pump will not fit the pump tube of the one you have? That is strange and not something I have ever seen before.

22. Tony Press

@Nils Stephenson

I think you are right about the winged filler cap, crinkled paint, and the “old” pump cap. In my humble opinion, that is the first version of the Aussie made Aladdin 1A.

Cheers

Tony

23. AussiePete

@Nils Stephenson
    Sorry to confuse you Nils.
    On my example, the pump shaft or pump rod, is a larger diameter to the pump shafts/rods of the usual type. The oddity cap has a larger diameter hole to accomodate the larger diameter pump shaft/rod. Consequently, the pump rod, on my example, is too thick to use the usual standard cap. Other than the pump shaft/rods larger diameter, all the other dimensions and thread sizes are the same. The actual pump tube on my example is the same as the other examples.
    Hope this is a little clearer.
    Cheers
    Pete

24. Darryl Durdin

Hi fellas, i found my original pump that came with one of my steel 1a's. I did see the same pump on an1A in the lantern gallery, 20200525_191655.jpg
    The shaft is steel

25. Tony Press

Darryl

That’s an old pump. It has the lugs on it to lock the pump into the pump cap.

Tony

26. AussiePete

@Darryl Durdin
    That is an old pump, I’ve not seen one like that before.
    Cheers
    Pete

27. Nils Stephenson

@AussiePete The penny has dropped.

Could be a replacement of some kind, but it is unique so far.

The two examples I have seen of the old pump and cap have both had the locking lugs on the pump shaft.

28. Darryl Durdin

Old pump in detail.
    The insert inside brass cap is steel. 20200526_064144.jpg 20200526_064136.jpg 20200526_064129.jpg 20200526_063143.jpg

29. AussiePete

@Darryl Durdin
    The insert being steel must be there for the wear factor. The steel pump shaft would wear the brass quickly if not for the steel insert.
    This thread has turn up some very interesting variations on the Aladdin1A.
    Good stuff.
    Cheers
    Pete

30. Damien

Damien Australia Subscriber

G'day fellas.... trying to get even close to a money shot still proving elusive. Pumped up, little spurt from nipple, filled pre heater, lit it, no flame from porcelain??? I know it's me, just can't figure out what. Photo attached of attempted light 20200531_141630.jpg